Skrill South
Monday 21 April 2014 - Mayday Trust Park - kick off 3.00pm
half-time: 1-1 result: W4-2 attendance: 571

team: Mellor, Simpson, Ball, Gallinagh (c), Walsh, Burnell (Connolly 78), Stearn, Allen (Wring 74), Pratt, Watkins (Keats 56), Bowman. subs not used: Low, Brown.
man of the match: David Pratt
scorers: Pratt (23, 77), Burnell (58), Stearn (71)
bookings: none
officials: D Eaton, S Shaw, R Morris

league position: 7th form: DLWWLW next match: Concord Rangers (A)

Report taken from

Red-hot striker Dave Pratt celebrated his new deal for 2014-15 by bagging a brace as Bath City came from behind for the third home game running to beat Farnborough. Joe Burnell and Ross Stearn were also on target as City completed their Mayday Trust Park campaign in fine style, although the win was not enough to send their play-off push into the final weekend of the season. Havant & Waterlooville's 1-0 win over champions Eastleigh means City are five points adrift of the top five, with their final games of the season taking place at Concord Rangers this weekend.

City made four changes to the team which lost 3-1 at Gosport Borough on Saturday, with keeper Jason Mellor returning after a three-match suspension. Dan Bowman, Joe Burnell and Ross Stearn also came into the starting XI, with Josh Low, Adam Connolly and Noah Keats dropping to the bench. Farnborough went into the match on the back of a 3-0 win over Maidenhead United, which officially ended any lingering fears they had of being relegated. And they soon had more cause for celebration as, from their first attack of the game, Harry Lee's long throw was only cleared as far as Fraser Colmer whose volley through a crowd of players found the bottom corner of the net. City were struggling to get going, with the offside flag halting several attacks and Stearn guilty of wasting possession on occasions. However, he did produce a quality pass in the 23rd minute to find Dan Ball in space on the left touchline and his wonderful cross was brilliantly headed home by Pratt for his seventh goal in eight games. The scorer had a glorious chance to make it 2-1 when a slick City move ended with Chris Allen sending him through on goal. Pratt attempted to round keeper Ross Fitzsimons but couldn't work a shooting opportunity, so he instead teed up Stearn whose effort was blocked from close range. Moments after Phil Walsh was fortunate not to concede a free-kick on the edge of the City box for an apparent foul on Phill Page, Stearn dropped his shoulder to find space in the Farnborough box but no one was on hand to tap in his ball across the face of goal.

City were dealt a blow 11 minutes into the second half when Andy Watkins appeared to get his studs caught as he went to turn and immediately signalled his distress. He was able to limp off after treatment, though, to be replaced by Keats. Moments after the striker's departure, an unlikely goal hero emerged as Burnell's cross-shot took a massive deflection and looped over the helpless Fitzsimons into the net to put City ahead. It was only the sixth goal of the experienced midfielder's career but his second in a month, following his winner against Dorchester Town in March. Pratt could have put daylight between the City and the visitors on the hour when he got behind the Farnborough defence again but he dragged his angled drive wide of the far post. Farnborough made one of only two changes available to them in the 64th minute, sending on Dan Bennett for CJ Fearn, and it needed a perfectly-timed tackle from Walsh to deny captain Josh Huggins a goalscoring opportunity soon after. Instead it was City who scored again in the 71st minute, with Ball again providing an assist. His pass was brilliantly dummied by Stearn to deceive onrushing keeper Fitzsimons and leave the winger with a simple finish into an empty net. With the home side now in control, management team Lee Howells and Adie Britton took the opportunity to send midfielder Danny Wring on for his debut in place of Allen. City's grip on the game grew stronger still 13 minutes from time when Keats' delightful through-ball with the outside of his right foot sent Pratt one-on-one with the keeper for a third time and on his occasion he was able to finish with great aplomb. Burnell was replaced by Connolly to a standing ovation on what could possibly be his last home appearance in a City shirt. Tyrone Berry also replaced Phill Page for Farnborough, who pulled one back in the 90th minute when Bowman nudged Colmer over in the box and JJ Hooper confidently despatched the resulting penalty. However, it could not detract from another good recovery from City, who were given a good reception by the fans following a fifth successive home league win.