Skrill South
Saturday 26 April 2014 - Aspect Arena - kick off 3.00pm
half-time: 0-0 result: W2-0 attendance: tbc

team: Mellor, Simpson (Brown 64), Ball, Walsh, Gallinagh (c), Allen, Bowman (Stearn 64), Connolly, Pratt, Low (Wring 90), Burnell. subs not used: Wilson, Keats.
man of the match: Andy Gallinagh
scorers: Connolly (75), Stearn (90)
bookings: Allen (85)
officials: M George, H Cutmore, M Holes

league position: 7th form: LWWLWW next match: next season

Report taken from

Two rare moments of quality from Adam Connolly and Ross Stearn in an otherwise typical end-of-season encounter at Concord Rangers ensured Bath City finished an ultimately encouraging Skrill South campaign on a winning note. Connolly's first-time finish at the end of a slick move gave the visitors a 75th-minute lead which Stearn doubled in injury-time following a neat one-two with fellow substitute Danny Wring. That secured three points at Canvey Island which, combined with Staines Town home defeat to Basingstoke Town, ensured City finished seventh in the table overall. Related content

City made two changes to the 11 which started Easter Monday's 4-2 win over Farnborough, with Stearn dropping to the bench and Andy Watkins out with a combination of illness and injury. Connolly and Josh Low returned to the team in their place, while Rangers - who had already played four times in the past seven days - made six changes to the team which lost 2-1 at home to Ebbsfleet United on Thursday. The game at the Aspect Arena - just half-a mile from the Canvey Island seafront and with a caravan park providing the backdrop to the pitch - took a while to settle but it was City who had the two best openings of the first 15 minutes. Andy Gallinagh found space in the box from a free-kick but couldn't keep his shot down, then Dave Pratt - so deadly in the last few weeks - headed well wide from by the penalty spot after a brilliant burst down the left and cross from Dan Ball. The Beach Boys almost took the lead in bizarre circumstances when Tony Stokes' miscued cross from the right touchline swirled in the wind and dropped onto the bar with Jason Mellor scrambling back. The City keeper was in exactly the right place in the 33rd minute as he got down brilliantly to touch Stokes' goalbound angled drive around the post after a smart turn by the home captain. However, while there was plenty of endeavour from both teams on a bobbly pitch, there was little quality in a low key first-half with the ball being hoofed out of the ground on five occasions.

The second period began with a Concord free-kick on the halfway line being headed on by Steve King into the path of Stokes, whose shot was well saved by Mellor before the flag belatedly went up for offside. City's first chance came in the 55th minute following a good move down the right, with Ball's looping header from the cross dropping onto the roof of the net with home keeper Jamie Butler looking worried. King put a far-post header straight into Mellor's hands from a Sam Collins cross, while James White fizzed a 25-yard shot over the City bar but there was still no real pattern to the play. The visiting management team of Lee Howells and Adie Britton attempted to shake things up in the 64th minute by making a double change, with Sekani Simpson and Dan Bowman - who picked up a wrist injury in the first half - being replaced by Aaron Brown and Stearn. The Beach Boys' first substitution soon followed as Stokes went off to make way for Steve Cawley, whose first involvement was to clash heads with Ball and leave both requiring treatment. Taylor Miles came on for Gary Ogilvie with 17 minutes to go as Concord made their second change but it was City who finally broke the deadlock moments later. One of the better passing moves of the afternoon ended with Andy Gallinagh slipping the ball through to Connolly, whose well-struck first-time shot caught keeper Butler by surprise as it beat him at his near post. Concord made their final throw of the dice with six minutes to go as Seedy Njee replaced White to provide another tall striker for the City defence to deal with. But they did so comfortably and then killed the game off in injury-time as Wring, just moments after replacing Low, took a pass from Stearn and then played his fellow substitute through to bag City's second. The win was City's 18th of the season and their fourth in the last five games, providing a good springboard to go into the 2014-15 campaign with positivity.