Vanarama Conference South
Saturday 9 August 2014 - The Aspect Arena - kick off 3.00pm
half-time: 0-1 result: L0-3 attendance: 286

team: Mellor, Simpson, Slocombe (Keary 85), Gallinagh (c), Ball, Adelsbury (Artus 60), Allen, Stearn, Pratt (Hemmings 54), Watkins, Kington. subs not used: Walsh, Bowman.
man of the match: Jason Mellor
scorers: none
bookings: Slocombe (45), Pratt (51), Artus (88)
officials: L Wood, N Dunn, D Bonneywell

league position: 21st form: -----L next match: Basingstoke Town (A)

“In lots of areas today we were purely inept” was Director of Football Adie Britton’s terse summing up of a performance that gave Bath City a rude awakening to their, perhaps over heightened, pre-season expectations. Indeed, but for some first-half heroics by Jason Mellor in the City goal, combined by some woeful finishing by Concords forwards, this could have been a score line that ran into double figures and with little prospect of reply at the other end.

As early as the fourth minute Concord signalled their attacking intent and City their defensive malaise as a long ball bounced over Sekani Simpson’s head and with Steve Cawley bearing down on goal it was only Mellor’s quick reactions that saved City’s blushes. He hardly need have bothered. Just fifty second later it was bright pink faces all round in the visitors defence as Joe Gardiner got round the back of Slocombe with his cross falling to Cawley who fired home from close range. City had a brief opportunity on ten minutes when after a good run by Andy Watkins down the left, Chris Allen put his shot over the cross bar. But it was little more than a momentary respite as back came Rangers. Jordan Chiedozie had a shot which Mellor managed to deflect away with his legs when at full stretch. Then Sam Collins blasted the ball no more than inches over City’s cross bar. Finally, the lively Gardiner cut in from the right, only for Mellor to palm away a shot destined for the bottom right hand corner of his net. City did then come back into the game just before the interval but it was no more than a set of half chances, somewhat akin to the final despairing wave of a drowning man. Ross Stearn won a free kick just outside the penalty area which was then played wide to Ben Adlesbury.Yet, Jamie Butler in the home gal was alert to the danger and pushed the ball away before Adelbsury could get his shot in. Five minutes later Stern had a hopeful punt from thirty five yards which Butler slightly flattered by only grabbing the ball at the second attempt.

If the travelling City fans were expecting better in the second half, then they did not have long to wait for disappointment to set in. Within seconds of the re-start Mellor was forced into a double save, first from the impressive Chiedozie, followed by one from Collins. Yet as in the first half Rangers demonstrated they were not a side to rest on their laurels. Fifty one minutes gone and Simpson looked to just catch Chiedozie as he raced into City’s goal area and Danny Glozier easily converted the resultant penalty. City had one last effort when a nice passing move saw Watkins get in a shot that Butler had to save but from then on it was one way traffic. Mellor, who had until then been the one player to play to anything like his potential, joined in the unplanned helplessness when a throw from goal got nowhere near Simpson A somewhat surprised Ogilvie then saw the keeper redeem himself by saving the midfielders shot despite being clean through on goal. By now Rangers were rampant. It was three to the home side when again Simpson gave away a penalty, this time Chiedozie converting the spot kick. Finally, substitute Chaz Hemmigns failed to control a ball just inside his own half and as the defence opened up Concord’s captain demonstrated their profligacy in front of goal by putting his shot over the cross bar when it looked easier to score. If the only way is Essex, then City are in for a long hard season.