Vanarama Conference South
Saturday 16 August 2014 - Twerton Park - kick off 3.00pm
half-time: 0-0 result: D0-0 attendance: 429

team: Mellor, Bowman, Ball, Gallinagh (c), Simpson, Walsh (Keary 56), Allen (Kington 80), Adelsbury, Pratt, Watkins (Stearn 62), Artus. subs not used: Hemmings, Slocombe.
man of the match: Frankie Artus
scorers: none
bookings: Artus (75)
officials: A Quelch, M Underhay, L Rutter

league position: 19th form: ---LLd next match: Havant & W'ville (H)

Report taken from

Bath City and Chelmsford earned their first points of the season in a game that ended goalless but was overshadowed by a serious injury to the ‘Romans’ defender Phil Walsh. The second half was just ten minutes old when Walsh and Michael Cheek went up for a ball some twenty yards from the home goal. It was an innocuous clash, but as Walsh fell to the ground he went over on his ankle. As he was surrounded by players from both sides with ambulance staff rushing on to the pitch the seriousness of the injury quickly became apparent. Walsh was immediately taken to the Royal United Hospital. Despite the absence of goals, given that both of these sides have now played 270 minutes of football apiece without scoring, it was an otherwise entertaining game.

The opening stages definitely belonged to the visitors as the home side looked more nervous than a teenager out on a first date. Twice Joe Ward had good opportunities for the Clarets. One flicking wide of the upright, whilst the second from 18 yards was well taken by keeper Jason Mellor diving to his left. The experienced Glen Southam (with championship winning side Eastleigh last season) also orchestrated a number of the Chelmsford attacks, the closest coming from a free kick when Luke Callander looked through on goal only for Andy Gallinagh to clear the ball from his feet at the last minute. Gradually the home side came into the game. A good cross from the excellent Walsh flicked off the head of Dave Pratt to Dan Bowman, who was in plenty of space down the right. Unfortunately his cross was wasted as the Claret defence easily swept the ball clear. But Bath saved their best for the end of the first half. With the seconds ticking down to the interval, Ben Adelsbury, seeing Clarets keeper Nicky Ayre off his line, went for an ambitious lob which Eyre only just tipped over his cross bar. From the corner the visitors failed to clear the ball and as it came out to Frankie Artus, the midfielder put in a powerful shot that cannoned back off the cross bar.

The second half began much like the first with Chelmsford on the attack. With only a minute gone Lee Sawyer had a shot from the edge of the eighteen yard box which sailed narrowly wide. However, it was a short lived period of ascendency for the visitors, as despite the significant delay caused by the injury to Walsh, the Romans began to grow in confidence. Just after the hour mark Ben Adlesbury put in a fine curving shot which keeper Eyre only just managed to tip away from the top left hand corner of his goal. It was followed by another attempted lobover Eyre, this time from Artus standing at an almost ‘Beckhamesque’ distance from goal. In the closing stages there were then further chances for both sides as they pressed to gain all three points. The best of these fell to Bath striker Dave Pratt whose header one minute before the end from a Bowman cross was again well taken by the Chelmsford keeper.