Vanarama Conference South
Saturday 6 September 2014 - Twerton Park - kick off 3.00pm
half-time: 0-1 result: L1-4 attendance: 556

team: Mellor, Simpson, Ball, Keary, Gallinagh (c), Adelsbury, Stearn, Allen, Pratt (Hemmings 81), Watkins (Slocombe 80), Kington (Dale 57). subs not used: Burnell, Bowman.
man of the match: Dave Pratt
scorers: Stearn (pen 88)
bookings: Allen (65), Stearn (68)
officials: S Plane, D Sallis, C Smith

league position: 21st form: LLdLWL next match: Wealdstone (A)

Report taken from

Bath City remain rooted to the bottom of Vanarama Conference South and without a win at Twerton Park after crashing to a heavy home defeat against Whitehawk on Saturday. Danny Mills scored twice for the visitors, while a Pa Saikou Kujabi screamer and a controversial Sam Deering penalty condemned City to a third home loss in four games. They pulled a goal back in the 88th minute when Ross Staern scored from the spot after Chris Allen had been upended by Tom Cadmore, who was sent off as a result, but it was little consolation. City made one enforced change to the team which won at Boreham Wood last weekend, with Allen - who had recovered from illness - replacing the injured Frankie Artus in midfield. Teenage striker Bobbie Dale, who joined City on a month's loan from Cheltenham Town on Friday, was named on the bench but 19-year-old midfielder Kyle Patten - who has signed from Newport County - did not receive international clearance in time to feature.

The opening from both teams was as bright as the late summer sunshine, with City forcing the first save of note when Andy Watkins produced a smart turn in the Whitehawk box but saw his near-post shot parried by keeper John Sullivan. However, while there was no shortage of competitive action in midfield, there was a shortage of goalmouth incident with the next real chance not arriving until the 31st minute. That was when Dave Pratt showed his usual tenacity to win possession and roll the ball back to Ashley Kington, who stepped inside a defender but saw his goalbound shot deflected to safety. There was a major scare at the other end soon after when Mills' flick dropped for fellow striker Sergio Makofo, who managed to toe-poke his shot under advancing keeper Jason Mellor but his effort lacked power and it was easily cleared by Andy Gallinagh. Makofo collided with Mellor during that incident and play was delayed for a couple of minutes as the Whitehawk man received treatment. He was unable to continue and had to be replaced by Sam Gargan with five minutes of the first half remaining. He only had been on the pitch for 60 seconds when Whitehawk took the lead, with a helping hand from the City defence who fell asleep and allowed a long ball to bounce through for an offside-looking Mills to despatch through keeper Mellor's legs. There was another injury blow for Whitehawk on the stroke of half-time when captain Paul Lorraine, while trying to stop Watkins getting to the byline, jarred his knee. He immediately signalled that he was in great pain and was stretchered off after five minutes of treatment. During that time, visiting manager Steve King - who had already been warned about leaving his technical area - was vocally critical of the decision to award a free-kick against Lorraine and was warned to calm down by referee Steven Plane or face being sent to the stands.

However, King had plenty to cheer in the second half as his team took complete control, scoring three times in 16 miserable minutes for the home side. There was nothing Mellor could do to prevent Kujabi doubling the lead with a stunning 20-yard strike that was always destined for the top corner of the net. However, Whitehawk's third goal was another poor one to concede, with Deering working his way into the box too easily. His shot was blocked but fell nicely for Mills to rifle home from eight yards. Deering was causing no end of problems down the right and won and converted a 67th-minute penalty to make it 4-0, although City were incensed with the decision against Pat Keary. Dale came on for his City debut just before the third goal, while Martin Slocombe and Chas Hemmings were introduced for Watkins and Pratt respectively in the closing ten minutes as thoughts turned to Tuesday's trip to Wealdstone. It almost got worse for City when substitute Matthew Barnes-Homer fired in a low shot, which Mellor did brilliantly to tip onto the post. However, the hosts did manage to get on the scoresheet themseves when Cadmore brought down Allen as he went through on goal, earning a red card and conceding a penalty which Stearn confidently despatched.