FA Cup 2nd Qualifying Round Replay
Tuesday 30 September 2014 - Tatnum Ground - kick off 7.45pm
half-time: 1-0 result: W2-0 attendance: 516

team: Mellor, Bowman, Ball, Gallinagh (c), Keary, Simpson, Watkins (Stearn 90), Kington, Pratt, Hemmings (Patten 78), Adelsbury. subs not used: McCootie, Rollo.
man of the match: Sekani Simpson
scorers: Pratt (42, 64)
bookings: Keary (27), Bowman (90)
officials: T Wood, M Bloor, A Moody

league position: n/a form: LWDWDW next match: Sutton United (A)

A double from leading scorer Dave Pratt sent Bath City through to the third qualifying round of the FA Cup at the expense of Southern Premier Division leaders Poole Town. Pratt’s sixth and seventh goals of the season were enough to hand Poole, who had earned a 1-1 draw at Twerton Park on Saturday, their first defeat of the season. The win earned City £4,000 in prize money and they will have the chance to net a further £7,500 when they entertain Shortwood United in the next round on Saturday, October 11.

City had the best of the early opportunities in a forgettable first half, with Chas Hemmings twice crowded out from Andy Watkins crosses. Gradually Poole began to come back into it and on 27 minutes had a great opportunity when Michael Walker put the ball into the box, it slipped under Sekani Simpson and Josh Hanlon scuffed his shot wide. Poole continued in the ascendency, with Keith Emerson having a piledriver of a shot blocked by Pat Keary. As time ticked down to half-time City again began to apply pressure once more, mainly through Watkins down the left. They broke the deadlock three minutes before the interval. Watkins laid the ball back to Ben Adlesbury and his cross was flicked on by Hemmings for Pratt to bundle across the line at the far post.

In the second half all the early pressure came from Town. A succession of long throw-ins saw City fail to clear their lines, only earning temporary respite when Marvin Brookes headed over from about ten yards. But the home side continued to press and just before the hour mark had another good chance to draw level when Mike Gosney put the ball over the bar from a Steve Devlin lay-off. They were caught out at the back, however, when a long clearance downfield from keeper Jason Mellor saw Hemmings give chase, only for the lanky forward to be fouled virtually on the byline. Ashley Kington’s free-kick was swung into the box at pace, flicked off a defender and Pratt, lurking at the far post, fired home his second of the evening. Poole huffed and puffed in the closing stages but were offered no way back this time, with Gosney having a shot blocked two minutes from the end.