Vanarama Conference South
Saturday 18 October 2014 - Hayes Lane - kick off 3.00pm
half-time: 0-0 result: L0-1 attendance: 639

team: Mellor, Mitchell, Ball, Gallinagh (c), Keary, Kington (Watkins 69), Stearn (Perry 83), Patten, Pratt, McCootie, Hemmings. subs not used: Adelsbury, Allen, Simpson.
man of the match: Andy Gallinagh
scorers: none
bookings: McCootie (29), Ball (48), Pratt (71)
referee: L Wood

league position: 16th form: WWWDWL next match: East Thurrock Utd (FAC) (A)

Report taken from

Bath City's unbeaten run may have come to an end at Bromley on Saturday but it happened in a match that left City's management and players seething at referee Wood's decision making, as a succession of marginal decisions appeared to go the home side's way. First among the grievances was a Dave Pratt goal disallowed offside just before the half-hour mark. The ball was played into the box from a City free-kick, Pratt appeared to come from behind the defence and found himself in yards of space before heading the ball into the back of the net, only to find the assistant's flag had ruled against him. Worse was to follow both for the forward and for City when, eight minutes before the interval, Nick McCootie shook off the defence and raced into the penalty area, only to be brought down no more than ten yards from the line by goalkeeper Seb Brown. It not only looked a clear-cut penalty but an equally clear-cut red card for Brown. Astonishingly he escaped with a yellow, referee Wood reportedly saying McCootie was taking the ball away from goal. However, as the forward would have been left with a simple tap-in, it seemed an odd judgement. Then, as if to add insult to injury, from the spot-kick, the normally reliable Pratt sent his shot past Brown but against the post. City's final grievance was yet to come. On the hour mark, the ball was played into the box from the Bromley right. A crowd of players went up for the header and City debutant Pierce Mitchell stumbled and fell backwards among a crowd of players. To his surprise and that of the entire City team, referee Wood pointed to the penalty spot. Jordan Robertson then sent Jason Mellor the wrong way from his spot-kick.

Those incidents apart, it was a fairly even encounter. The home side had the best of the early exchanges and, but for some wayward crossing from Ali Fuseni, could easily have been in front. Twice the pacy Pierre Joseph Dubois went close and forward Moses Ademola had a long-range shot that was well saved by Mellor. Equally Pratt and McCootie looked to be working well together up front despite City sporting an unfamiliar line-up with Ben Adelsbury and Andy Watkins on the bench as they nursed knocks from Tuesday night, while Sekani Simpson was also among the replacements, simply described as rested. Chas Hemmings was moved to the Adelsbury role, playing just in front of the back four. In the second half, the home side began to look more dangerous. Even before the goal Dennis had a shot that was well taken by Mellor and then Dennis turned supplier to Reece Prestidge, who shot wide from a good position. However, once the goal went in and City pressed forward, somehow the home side looked the more likely to get a second. Mellor had to make another good save from Dennis two minutes after the penalty and then Ademola got the better of Mellor only for Gallinagh to clear off the line. City tried to seize the initiative back and went closest on 76 minutes when McCootie was fouled on the edge of the 18-yard box and Ross Stearn put his free-kick wide of Brown's goal. From then on the home team controlled the game, with the best of their remaining chances coming when substitute Mitchell Pinnock was introduced and, with only his second touch, put in a rasping shot that again was well saved by Mellor.