FA Trophy 3rd Qualifying Round
Sunday 30 November 2014 - Whaddon Road - kick off 3.00pm
half-time: 0-0 result: D0-0 attendance: 425

team: Mellor, Bowman, Simpson, Keary, Walsh (Ball 80), Adelsbury, Watkins (Kington 90+1), Allen, Pratt, McCootie (Stearn 55), Hemmings. subs not used: Gallinagh, Perry.
man of the match: Phil Walsh
scorers: none
bookings: Bowman (36), Pratt (63)
referee: I Rathbone

league position: n/a form: WWLLWd next match: Gloucester City (FAT) (H)

Report taken from

There was £4,000 at stake in this FA Trophy third qualifying round tie but you would never have known it from this drab performance put on by two sides who never looked likely to score no matter how long Sunday's game lasted. It was a performance that left head coach Lee Howells saying post match: “I thought we were good in defence but dire up front” - a sentiment no doubt echoed by Gloucester manager Tim Harris as the two teams largely cancelled each other out.

That moment apart there were few chances for either team, not withstanding a tame shot from Bath’s Chris Allen which Singh easily collected. City continued to press, with Dan Bowman putting in good work down the right, although the defender was unlucky to pick up a booking for a soft tackle on Lewis Hall.

The second period was more of the same with the only real difference being the home side having slightly the better of possession. The visitors then shuffled the pack, bringing on Ross Stearn for Nick McCootie, but it had little immediate impact up front. Instead it was the Tigers who had their best spell of the game. On the hour mark from a corner, midfielder Marc Richards had a powerful header cleared by Dave Pratt and two minutes later Harry White put in a header which Jason Mellor did well to save low down. Gloucester then made a double substitution as Chris Jones and Nathan Modeste replaced the impressive Richards and Lucas. Strangely, it seemed to blunt the home attack and, despite the introduction of former City player Charlie Griffin, it had little impact. Instead it was the visitors who finished the stronger of the two teams, having three quick corners in succession which ended when Phil Walsh headed over from close range City's best chance then came with just two minutes remaining as Stearn laid on a perfect pass for Pratt, only for the forward to fire well wide when clear on goal. Perhaps the main positive from this match is that surely neither side can deliver such poor fare again in Tuesday night's replay at Twerton Park (7.45pm).