Somerset Premier Cup Quarter-Final
Tuesday 24 February 2015 - Twerton Park - kick off 7.45pm
half-time: 0-0 result: L0-2 attendance: 153

team: Barrington, Keary, Perry, Adelsbury (Bole HT), Grosvenor, Rollo (c), Bowman, Evans, Thorne, Allen, Gibbons. subs not used: Mastouras, Wheeler, Higgins.
man of the match: Louis Perry
scorers: none
bookings: Rollo (66), Evans (89)
officials: S Yianni, S Fearnley, I Parsons

league position: n/a form: DWLWDL next match: North Ferriby Utd (FAT) (A)

Report taken from

Paulton Rovers took full advantage of Bath City’s decision to field an under-strength team to become the first club through to the Somerset Premier Cup semi-finals. With Tuesday’s game falling in between two huge FA Trophy semi-final matches against North Ferriby United, City understandably rested a number of players including former Paulton striker Nick McCootie. However, they did include Pat Keary, Ben Adelsbury, Dan Bowman and Chris Allen in a starting XI captained by veteran Jim Rollo. Rovers also took the opportunity to field a number of players challenging for a first-team place and dominated a dour opening 45 minutes. Mike Bryant fired wide and Bristol City loanee Liam Monelle – making his first start for Paulton – was likely up front with Mitchell Page. The best chances came during an almighty scramble just before the break when Brandon Barnes won a corner on the left, which was played in by youngster Tyson Pollard. Bryant headed against the post and Page’s shot from the rebound was blocked before Jordan Walker’s drive was cleared. Rovers continued to have the better of the second half and took the lead in the 56th minute when Barnes threaded a sweet pass through to Page, who held off Rollo before beating Josh Barrington in the home goal. Keeper Rob Brown, deputising for suspended Paulton stopper Kyle Phillips, was rarely troubled as his side controlled the pace of the game, while skipper Scott Brice and central-defensive partner Shayne Anson broke up several City moves. And it was no surprise when Rovers made it 2-0 on 67 minutes with a superb move. Barnes was fouled and Pollard took a quick free-kick to release Monelle, who surged to the right byline before crossing for man of the match Page to nod into the net. Pollard twice squandered clear-cut chances to add to the tally and Monelle saw the ball run away from him after an inch-perfect 30-yard cross by substitute Omar Lindsay. City midfielder Allen tested Brown late on but he saved easily as Paulton eased through to the last four.