Vanarama Conference South
Saturday 14 March 2015 - Twerton Park - kick off 3.00pm
half-time: 1-0 result: D1-1 attendance: 775

team: Mellor, Bowman, Gallinagh, Walsh, Ball, Diallo, Hemmings (Allen 87), Kington, Pratt (Stearn 84), McCootie (Watkins 70), Artus. subs not used: Keary, Adelsbury.
man of the match: Phil Walsh
scorers: Walsh (28)
bookings: Artus (17)
officials: R Atkin, J Ainscow, D Jacecko

league position: 11th form: LDLWLD next match: Bishop's Stortford (H)

Report taken from

Bath City have played in some games recently that have set the pulse racing, none more so than their two-legged FA Trophy semi-final. Yet this was a game where a pulse was scarcely discernible. Poor fare indeed to set before City's Community Day crowd of just under 800.

It might of course all have been different if the home side had capitalised on a good opportunity as early as the second minute. Dan Bowman made an incisive run down the right, followed by a cross into the box that flicked off Dave Pratt to Frankie Artus. Unmarked, the City midfielder seemed to stumble as he went for his shot and the opportunity went begging. From then on, the game settled into a midfield stalemate, despite City's wing-back style contrasting with Concord's more direct and traditional 4-4-2 formation. The result was that the ball spent so much time lofted into the Twerton Park sky, you might have thought it was collecting air miles. Eventually the deadlock was broken, just before the half hour mark. City won a corner on the right, which Artus played long to the far post for Phil Walsh. He rose virtually unmarked to head home. The visitors then should have equalised just six minutes before the interval. Lewis Taffe broke free down the right to get round the City defence. He put in a perfect pass to Sam Collins on the left, but as he advanced on goal his rather tame shot just clipped the heal of City defender Andy Gallinagh and the ball sailed harmlessly wide of the goal for a corner. If the footballing action was few-and-far between, the game threatened to boil over just before the interval. Dave Pratt sustained a facial injury and was led from the pitch, blood streaming from his nose whilst Concord's Jeremy Walker was down for some time receiving treatment before he too limped from the game. The former emerged for the second half, whilst the latter did not, eventually being replaced by Jack Lampe. However, the pre half-time incidents were enough to stimulate the two benches into a slanging match, with coach Jim Rollo being shoved and altercations clearly taking place in the Twerton Park tunnel.

In the second half, again there was little to choose between the two sides. The hour mark came and still Jason Mellor in the City goal had still not had to make a save, although with three early second-half substitutions the visitors were beginning to come back into the match a little more. Rangers' first real chance came just seconds later when substitute Tony Stokes had a speculative shot from around 25 yards, but even that sailed at least two yards wide of Mellor's post. For City the best chance came some three minutes later when another run by Bowman down the right threatened to undo the visitors' defence. He put in a ball to Ashley Kington, but his shot was easily collected by Josh Vickers in the Rangers' goal. So, it was clear that City were going to get all three points, that is until what simply amounted to tiredness looked to catch up with them. A late Concord foray forward and Stokes found himself unmarked on the right. He cut inside and, as Jason Mellor advanced off his line, virtually passed it into the goal, albeit off the upright. It was a sorry end to a sorry match and perhaps the first signs that after the Trophy run and the pressure of having to play two games a week, the season is beginning to catch up with Bath City.