Vanarama Conference South
Tuesday 17 March 2015 - Twerton Park - kick off 7.45pm
half-time: 0-0 result: L0-1 attendance: 303

team: Mellor, Gallinagh (Bowman 61), Ball, Keary, Walsh, Adelsbury, Diallo, Allen (Artus 81), Watkins, McCootie, Hemmings (Stearn 61). subs not used: Rollo, Kington.
man of the match: Naby Diallo
scorers: none
bookings: McCootie (79), Keary (90)
officials: S Plane, R Gardner, D Wilding

league position: 12th form: DLWLDL next match: Farnborough (A)

Bath City's post FA Trophy hangover continued as they were handed defeat by lowly Bishop's Stortford at Twerton Park. A return of just four points from the five matches since they were beaten in a semi-final penalty shoot-out at North Ferriby United on February 28 has all but extinguished any faint hopes City had of mounting a late charge for the Vanarama Conference South play-offs.

As was the case in Saturday's draw with Concord Rangers, the first half that will not live long in the memory. Neither keeper had a serious save to make as both teams passed the ball well but had little impact in front of goal. The best of the half-chances fell to the home side. Nick McCootie got free on goal after just nine minutes but he was closed down and his shot was easily taken by James Bransgrove in the visitors' goal. A great cross field ball then found Andy Watkins, who again played in McCootie. The forward tracked along the 18-yard box before flicking the ball on via Chas Hemmings to Watkins, whose shot went narrowly wide.

If Stortford were quiet in the first period they came out looking much more determined in the second and got their reward just six minutes after the restart. City defender Dan Ball gave Sheldon Sellears too much room down the right and paid the penalty. Sellears' cross bounced over the outstretched arm of keeper Jason Mellor and fell neatly for visiting defender Adam Bailey-Dennis, who fired home from 12 yards. However, Bailey Dennis' evening turned to disaster just ten minutes later. He took down Watkins from behind and, having been booked in the first half, was dismissed for a second yellow. He became the first Stortford player sent off this season but the 12th dismissal overall against City this season. Ross Stearn and Dan Bowman came on for Andy Gallinagh and Hemmings as City made a double change midway through the half. It galvanised the attack but despite City's pressure the best chance was Stearn's 30-yard shot over the top after he had dribbled past three defenders. McCootie picked up a booking, his tenth of the season, which will mean under the totting up process he misses City's games against Hayes & Yeading and Havant & Waterlooville. In the end the City threat simply petered out and they are now in danger of letting the end of the season just drift away from them.