Vanarama Conference South
Saturday 11 April 2015 - York Road - kick off 3.00pm
half-time: 0-2 result: L0-2 attendance: 228

team: Mellor, Simpson, Gallinagh (c) (Stearn HT), Walsh, Hemmings, Diallo, Allen, Artus (Watkin 63), Pratt, McCootie, Ball. subs not used: Bowman, Keary, Kington.
man of the match: Ross Stearn
scorers: none
bookings: Artus (42), Hemmings (59)
officials: C O'Donnell, T Hancock, N Phillips

league position: 13th form: LWDdLL next match: Ebbsfleet Utd (H)

Report taken from

Bath City could not recover from a slow start as they succumbed to a 2-0 defeat at Hayes & Yeading United on Saturday. After falling behind to captain Dean Inman's header from a corner, City soon found themselves two goals behind as Greg Morgan scored from inside his own half with just 12 minutes on the clock. City improved after the break and Nick McCootie squandered two chances, while a Ross Stearn free-kick hit the bar, but Hayes & Yeading held on for victory.

A disastrous opening spell by City saw them start where they had left off on Easter Monday against Havant, that is in disarray. The only difference was that the Havant game was against a side going for promotion whereas this match was against a side trying to avoid relegation. The disaster for City began as early as the sixth minute. A corner on the right hand side saw a ball played into the box which a static City defence simply watched go past them, before Inman, unmarked, powerfully headed home. It was a goal virtually before a City player had touched the ball, but worse was to follow. Two minutes later Morgan put the ball through to Robbie Matthews, who, again unmarked, put in a shot which City keeper Jason Mellor did well to turn over the cross bar. However, Mellor then turned from hero to villain when Morgan simply punted a long ball downfield, the wind caught it and with one bounce it sailed over the back-pedalling keeper, who was too far off his line, and into the goal. It was one of many recent disasters for the City keeper, whose confidence must be damaged. For much of the rest of the first half it would be fair to say little happened. Hayes defended competently but were under so little threat from the City attack that keeper Grant Smith did not have a shot to save. Twice the opposition put through balls to Morgan and Matthews but each time they were caught offside despite the visitors' somewhat static defence. For City their only real opportunity came when Dan Ball burst through from defence and went past two players, but then fired so high over the crossbar it nearly went through the skylight of a house behind the goal.

City rang the changes at half-time, bringing on Stearn for Andy Gallinagh and then, just after the hour mark, Andy Watkins for Frankie Artus. The latter was hardly a decisive move, with Watkins waiting ten minutes for his first touch, while Stearn did at least up the number of fouls gained as he attempted to turn the home defence. With the half only two minutes old City won a free-kick on the left which Stearn fired straight into the hands of the keeper. Six minutes later the visitors had their best chance of the match to that point. McCootie ran free on goal, but with the ball running away from him down the slope, his shot was pushed into the air by keeper Smith and then when it came down McCootie fouled Inman. Finally, just after the hour mark City went a splinter away from pulling a goal back. Adam Everitt fouled Stearn, earning a yellow card in the process, some 25 yards from goal. Stearn's kick then cannoned back off the bar and Dave Pratt, following up, was signalled off-side. From then on there were only half-chances for both sides. Mellor did well to turn aside a cross from Rhys Murrell-Williamson, another Stearn free-kick was palmed away by Smith and Phil Walsh did his best to let in Matthews when he spooned a ball high into the penalty area. For the home side, with Farnborough losing, the result meant that they are now guaranteed another season of Conference South football. For City, this was another depressing game from a tired looking side and, not having scored a goal in their last three outings, Lee Howells and Adie Britton will be hoping this is not a sign of things that might be to come next season.