Vanarama Conference South
Saturday 18 April 2015 - Twerton Park - kick off 3.00pm
half-time: 0-1 result: L0-2 attendance: 612

team: Mellor, Simpson, Gallinagh (c) (Bowman 68), Walsh, Ball, Allen, Kington, Artus, Pratt, McCootie (Watkins HT), Diallo (Stearn 68). subs not used: Rollo, Adelsbury.
man of the match: Dave Pratt
scorers: none
bookings: McCootie (42)
dismissal: Allen (1)
officials: R Atkin (Farnborough), A Moody (Eastleigh), M Carmichael (Basingstoke)

league position: 13th form: DdLLWL next match: Staines Town (A)

Report taken from

Chris Allen was shown a first-minute red card as Bath City lost out to Sutton United in their final home game of the season. Battling against the odds, the Romans had chances to equalise after a 15th-minute goal from Micky Spillane, but Dan Fitchett's late second ended their hopes.

A mere 18 seconds had passed before City's afternoon was dealt a hefty blow. In front of the visiting dugout, Allen connected with Damian Scannell on a studs-up challenge and was duly sent off. The resulting free-kick was comfortably cleared, and City created the first chance on the counter as Dave Pratt lobbed over the Sutton bar. The opening goal arrived after 15 minutes when the Romans failed to track the runners at Glen Southam's deep corner kick, giving Spillane ample space to loop a volley over Jason Mellor's head. The best City could muster in response was a scuffed 25-yard shot from Ashley Kington that dribbled wide. Spillane was handed a golden chance to double his tally when Scannell's intricate through pass set him in behind, only for Mellor to make a fine full-stretch save. Sutton corners were proving a potent threat to the City goal, Kevin Amankwaah seeing a close-range header blocked after peeling away at the far post. Mellor was called into action again when Louie Theophanous showed excellent close control to work space for a snap shot. City were then forced to scramble clear when Dundas found space in the centre from a Spillane cut-back. With the hosts frustrated by the referee, tempers threatened to boil over when McCootie was tripped off the ball by Southam on a dangerous counter attack. But as Naby Diallo broke free on the left-hand side, the referee pulled play back when McCootie and Southam squared up. No action was taken as none of the officials saw the incident, and City's advantage was wasted as play resumed with a drop ball.

Ten minutes into the second period, the Romans wasted a golden opportunity when Pratt muscled his way through to latch onto a bouncing ball and rounded the on-rushing keeper, only to hit the upright with the goal gaping. Scannell and Spillane both drove shots high over the bar at the other end before City threatened twice in quick succession. First, Pratt sent a looping header comfortably into Aaron Howe's arms before the Sutton keeper sliced a punched clearance, his defenders clearing from the goal-line. City were given a let off when Phil Walsh missed a header, giving Dundas a one-on-one chance with Mellor that he blasted over. Substitute Ricky Wellard was presented with an excellent chance to put Sutton two ahead, but connected poorly with his shot, allowing Mellor to push wide. However, the visitors would double their lead in the 84th minute when a Walsh mistake eventually led to Fitchett placing a low shot into Mellor's bottom-right corner.