Pre-Season Friendly
Friday 10 July 2015 - Twerton Park - kick off 7.00pm
half-time: 0-1 result: L0-1 attendance: 1133

team: Phillips, Gallinagh (c) (Matthews 69), Nicholson (Bowman 62), Simpson, Ball, Hemmings, McClennon (Monelle 78), Artus, Pratt (Sloggett 86), McCootie (Watkins 62), Kington (Douglas 82). subs not used: none
man of the match: Kevin Nicholson
scorers: none
bookings: none
officials: S Yianni, A Tremlett, M Dadds

league position: n/a form: -----L next match: Newport County (H)

Report taken from

Bath City got their pre-season campaign under way with a narrow defeat against a slick Bristol City outfit. The visiting Robins went ahead in the 12th minute through an Aaron Wilbraham penalty and went on to dominate the first half proceedings, although Dave Pratt missed a spot kick of his own for the Romans before a more even second period.

It appeared that an end-to-end game might be on the cards in the opening exchanges. City had the first opportunity when former Robin Frankie Artus released Pratt, but he drove into the side netting from a tight angle. Little more than a minute later, the visitors passed up a similar chance. Luke Freeman played a fine looping pass to the left side of the penalty area for Joe Bryan, who speared a low drive wide of the near post. With the Romans playing deep, the Bristol side had most of the territory and were given the opportunity to take the lead when Andy Gallinagh handled Wilbraham's header in the box, the striker stepping up to convert. City briefly flickered into life and earned a 23rd-minute penalty when a Gallinagh cross was handled by Aden Flint under pressure from Pratt. It went to waste, however, as Robins stopper Frankie Fielding got down low to his right to keep out Pratt's spot kick. Bobby Reid was proving to be a bright spark for the visitors and almost found himself clear on goal, only for Steve Phillips to dash out and smother the ball in the nick of time. Two more headed chances came and went for Bristol City Wilbraham failing to connect and Reid unable to rise high enough before the half-time whistle blew.

A string of corners led to two presentable chances for City just after the break. Kevin Nicholson, a trialist last seen playing for Kidderminster Harriers, sent a corner deep to the far post where Chas Hemmings' close-range shot was blocked. From the next flag kick, the ball was worked for Nicholson to chip a cross in for Ball, his header forcing Fielding into a fingertip save in front of his crossbar. Flint also missed what should have been a simple header from a Robins corner, while Harper had a goal disallowed for an offside call against Wilbraham. City would survive again when a diving Flint header was deflected over Phillips' crossbar. The first action of another Romans trialist, Luke Matthews, was to cynically dump fellow substitute Wes Burns to the floor. After some training ground tiki taka, the resulting free kick was driven into a group of City defenders. Joe McClennan, playing his first game in black and white, tried to rouse City, but slipped as he looked a curl a shot into the far corner. It proved his last action before being replaced by Liam Monelle, who also drove a shot over at the Bath end before the night was out.