Pre-Season Friendly
Tuesday 14 July 2015 - Twerton Park - kick off 7.45pm
half-time: 1-0 result: W2-0 attendance: 283

team: Phillips, Gallinagh (c) (Bowman HT), Nicholson (Jones 79), Ball, Matthews (Simpson 59), Hemmings (Sloggett 84), Artus (Douglas 84), Kington (Williams 59), Pratt (McCootie HT), Watkins (Jijedidun 79), Davies (McClennan HT). subs not used: none
man of the match: Kevin Nicholson
scorers: Watkins (44), McCootie (59)
bookings: none
officials: D Eaton, A Ricketts, A Trantor

league position: n/a form: ----LW next match: Hallen (A)

Report taken from

Goals from Andy Watkins and Nick McCootie earned Bath City their first win of pre-season as they more than matched a strong Newport County line-up. The Romans defence shone in Friday night's defeat to Bristol City, but against the League 2 Exiles, the frontline took the chance to show their worth. Watkins and Dave Pratt were bothersome figures before being replaced, while Jon Davies showed touches of class during his 45 minutes.

City looked good from the off, Chas Hemmings' getting the first strike on goal in with a long-range shot that was comfortably held by Newport stopper Rhys Taylor. There was a nervous moment when Steve Phillips flapped underneath a high header, but Lenell John-Lewis skewed an awkward effort off target. Six minutes in, City wasted a golden opportunity to make their early pressure count. Hemmings played a delightful ball out wide to Watkins, whose cut-back was completely missed by Pratt in front of an open goal. John-Lewis almost skipped through and Mark Byrne flashed a snap shot past the near post for County, but the hosts saw more of the ball in midfield. They could have gone ahead on 16 minutes when the lively Davies snapped up a Watkins square pass, skipped past a defender and blazed high and wide. The game lulled into a midfield battle for the next quarter-hour, but came back to life with a thrilling City move. Another fine Hemmings pass found trialist Kevin Nicholson, who played a one-two with Watkins and set Pratt through, only to see him hit the outside of the upright. Nicholson forced Taylor into an awkward low save with a 30-yard free kick before City took the lead with half-time approaching. Davies instigated the goal, slipping the ball through to Watkins, who proceeded to beat Scott Barrow and finish low into the far corner.

Newport came out renewed for the second period and created a pair of clear-cut chances in the first two minutes. Phillips was forced to make a stunning point-blank save from an Andy Collins header, before Collins played in John-Lewis to shoot wide sliding in. But City doubled their advantage just before the hour through McCootie's deflected 25-yard shot, which followed slick build-up from Watkins and Jo McClennan. Looking to fight back, Tom Owen-Evans drove into the Bristol end for County before Phillips was forced into a diving reaction stop when a corner reached Elliott Scotcher. Chances began to dwindle as the expected substitutions mounted up, although McCootie and fellow sub Dan Bowman almost forced a chance at the near post, while McClennan drove low and wide. McCootie was unlucky when he found himself just unable to skip around Taylor as City finished the contest on top.