Pre-Season Friendly
Tuesday 21 July 2015 - Twerton Park - kick off 7.45pm
half-time: 1-3 result: D3-3 attendance: 523

team: Phillips, Gallinagh (c) (Bowman HT), Nicholson, Ball, Matthews, Hemmings, Artus (Williams HT), Kington, Davies, McCootie (Pratt 54), Watkins (Sloggett 79). subs not used: Bole, Perry, Rollo.
man of the match: Chas Hemmings
scorers: Davies (38), Pratt (67), Watkins (79)
bookings: none
officials: R Hulme, S Fearnley, A Fricker

league position: n/a form: --LWWD next match: Yate Town (A)

Report taken from

Bath City showed their fighting spirit to earn a draw from an engrossing contest with Plymouth Argyle. The Pilgrims coasted into 3-0 lead after only half an hour before Jon Davies cut the deficit with a fine strike for his first goal in City colours. Substitute Dave Pratt swivelled to volley home the second after the break and Andy Watkins, a constant menace, tucked home a gifted equaliser on the goal-line.

However, before the late drama, Plymouth took control early as the lively Jake Jervis soon began to make an impression on the game. After flicking over at the near post, he powerfully headed home a left-wing Gregg Wylde cross from the corner of the six-yard box. Nick McCootie took it upon himself to add some impetus to the Romans' play. He burst to the byline and cut a low ball across the penalty area, though nobody was able to turn in a Frankie Artus back-heel flick. Steve Phillips was a spectator when Graham Carey's free-kick hit the post for Argyle moments before City passed up their best opportunity of the first half-hour. Under pressure from McCootie, Curtis Nelson played a pass straight to Watkins, who bore down on goal but shot into the Bristol End terrace when one-on-one. Argyle doubled their lead after 23 minutes when Ryan Brunt squeezed Carey's corner between a post and the defender via his head. After new signing Kevin Nicholson blazed a free-kick over the crossbar, Plymouth found a third when Jervis swept home following a missed interception by Artus. On 38 minutes, Davies showed the class that attracted the interest of numerous Football League sides with his first goal for City. Watkins held the ball up and laid off for Davies, who curled an inch-perfect 20-yard effort into to the top left corner. The goal seemed to energise City, who almost pulled back another when both Davies and Watkins were kept out at point-blank range.

The first notable action of the second period came ten minutes in when Carey played a half-volleyed ball across the field for Wylde, but the angle was always against him as he fired off target. The game was much more even for the next 15 minutes as Watkins lingered and held up the ball in wide areas to allow City time move up the field. They earned a couple of corners, one of which led to Nicholson shooting over, while Davies forced McCormick to push out a strong low cross. Another corner paid dividends with City's second on 67 minutes. McCormick flapped underneath Nicholson's corner, his weak punch falling for Pratt to exquisitely turn and volley home from ten yards. Moments later Pratt, sprinting in from the right-hand touchline, drove a low first-time effort wide across goal. City eventually got the leveller their second-half performance merited in bizarre circumstances. Watkins prodded home from less than a yard out after McCormick, expecting a free-kick to go out for a goal kick, let the ball drop for Luke Matthews to play in the former Truro man from the byline. Youth teamer Bradley Williams speared wide as the Romans looked to make their momentum count. Carl McHugh wasted an opportunity for Plymouth as City were forced to rely on breaks for the closing exchanges, although the visitors almost had the final word when Brunt narrowly failed to connect with a Carey cross. Read more: Follow us: @BathChron on Twitter | BathChron on Facebook