Vanarama National League South
Saturday 29 August 2015 - Twerton Park - kick off 3.00pm
half-time: 2-0 result: W5-0 attendance: 769

team: Phillips, Gallinagh (c), Nicholson, Baldwin (Adelsbury 68), Ball, Williams, Kington, Artus, Pratt, Watkins (McCootie 76), Davies (Bowman 43). subs not used: Hemmings, Perry.
man of the match: Dave Pratt
scorers: Pratt (12, 65), Watkins (29, 73), Artus (80)
bookings: Williams (52), Artus (56)
officials: A Penwell, A Berrow, S Jackson

league position: 1st form: WWWWWW next match: Weston Super Mare (A)

Report taken from

Not only did Bath City make history with their 5-0 hiding of Havant & Waterlooville, they also confirmed their place atop the National League South was no fluke. Dave Pratt and Andy Watkins scored either side of the interval and Frankie Artus added the sheen to a contest which marked the club's best-ever start to a league campaign a 100 per cent record through six games. And combined with results elsewhere, it sent them five points clear of their nearest rivals ahead of Monday's trip to rock-bottom derby rivals Weston-super-Mare.

The game began in open fashion, with Watkins and Jon Davies looking dynamic in the final third, but it was the visitors who carved out the first presentable chance. Keeper Ryan Young snatched a ball out of the air and sent a long punt downfield for Nic Ciardini to latch onto and square for Ben Swallow. With City scrambling, the former Bristol Rovers wideman scuffed wide from seven yards; the pressure of a backtracking Andy Gallinagh no excuse for his profligacy. The rest of the period was by and large in City's control. They almost caught a lucky break when a Davies cross was deflected narrowly wide of the goal. But they would go ahead from the resulting corner which, after a bout of ping-pong in the box, fell for Pratt. Young made a superb save from his initial effort, but the frontman reacted quickest to jab home. Aside from a superb low save from Steve Phillips to deny Adrian Clifton one-on-one, City dominated the following half-hour. Pratt glanced a Kevin Nicholson free-kick past the post and was only inches away from a driven Ashley Kington centre shortly after. Watkins, back in the starting line-up with Nick McCootie rested, latched on to a Pratt flick, but shot wide across goal with only Young ahead of him. The forward would take a second opportunity to open his account for the season in the 29th minute, mopping up the pieces after Gallinagh deliciously nutmegged a defender and crossed in. Young made a simple save from a first-time Watkins effort and watched a free header from Artus drift harmlessly wide as the hosts closed out the half in firm control.

Dan Ball survived a momentary scare when his mistimed header glanced inches wide of the upright to begin the second half. Dan Strugnell made a burst forward and laid a pass across for Ciardini to cut in and shoot wide as the Hawks came out with a hint more purpose. While City created fewer chances after the break, Havant were still kept at bay. Clifton blazed a hopeful effort over the crossbar, hoping to catch Phillips off his line from 35 yards, while Matt Patterson sent a skidding low effort straight at the veteran stopper. Pratt making his 100th Romans start all-but ended the contest with a fine second goal. Coming in from the left, he turned Strugnell, jinked inside a centre-half and smashed between Young and his near post. Havant gift-wrapped a fourth for City when they failed to deal with a high cross, heading the ball straight to the grateful feet of Watkins three yards out. After the visitors had a goal disallowed for a Marvin Morgan foul on Phillips, they rounded out the afternoon with a fifth when Pratt raced to the byline and dinked back for Artus to volley home. Havant sub Rod Young drove forward and hit the post in stoppage time, but there was no taking anything away from a fabulous day for City their biggest home win since a 5-0 triumph over Woking in December 2009.