Vanarama National League South
Monday 31 August 2015 - Woodspring Stadium - kick off 3.00pm
half-time: 1-0 result: D1-1 attendance: 720

team: Phillips, Gallinagh (c), Nicholson, Coupe, Ball, Hemmings, Kington (Allen 81), Artus, Pratt, McCootie (Adelsbury) 64, Watkins (Bowman 54). subs not used: Baldwin, Matthews.
man of the match: Andy Gallinagh
scorers: McCootie (39)
bookings: McCootie (58)
officials: R Hulme, S Shaw, R Morris

league position: 1st form: WWWWWD next match: Dartford (H)

Report taken from

Bath City's perfect start to the season was ended by a late equaliser from bottom side Weston-super-Mare in a testing encounter. Although the Seagulls dominated for large parts of the game, the points looked to be heading back to Bath through a goal from Ash Kington's deflected shot. But five minutes from time and with the visitors under the cosh, Weston squeezed home an equaliser through Ollie Barnes.

Weston may have started the day bottom of the National League South, but for much of the first half they had the run of the park. The hosts controlled the possession happy to pass back to the defence to maintain it and were quick to close City down in front of a sizable away following. Yet neither side could carve out any clear-cut chances. Jake Mawford and Ben Withey sent shots high over the stand for Weston, while City dealt in half-chances. Kevin Nicholson nipped in to intercept a pass and played Andy Watkins into the corner, but his cross was plucked out of the air by keeper Luke Purnell and a long throw from Andy Gallinagh fell in the box to Dave Pratt, who could not get a clean shot away. Matt Coupe, returning to the side following a holiday, almost let the lively Scott Wilson in behind when he missed a stooping header. Luckily for him, Steve Phillips darted off his line to clear before Wilson could get a touch. And yet it was City who went ahead on a rare foray forward. Weston could only half clear a high ball to Kington on the corner of the box. He drove the ball back through a crowd of bodies and into the bottom corner, with Nick McCootie strolling away, arm aloft, to claim the goal. A deft touch from Wilson took a long pass out of the air, but as he looked to tease Coupe back and forth, Nicholson slid in to end the final danger of the first half.

Weston came back out for the second period with more of an edge, whipping two dangerous centres across Phillips' goal. While end product continued to elude them, the hosts created two clear-cut chances within a minute. First Wilson latch onto a dinked pass over the Romans' defence but saw his stinging volley palmed away by Phillips. In the very next attack Mawford forced his way to the byline, his low cross running through for Jacob Cane, who spooned his effort high and wide. Just before the hour McCootie survived home calls for a red card after he clattered into Purnell, appearing to catch him in the face with his hand. The frontman escaped with a booking. Some hesitancy in the City defence allowed Wilson to get away a snapshot that found the terracing behind the goal with 20 minutes left to play. With McCootie and Watkins replaced by Ben Adelsbury and Dan Bowman, Pratt was left to feed off scraps up top on his own for much of the closing stages. Wilson almost levelled for the hosts with a 25-yard drive that Phillips turned around the post, but after City failed to fully clear from the resulting corner, Barnes shot Dayle Grubb's cross into the top corner to level. City responded almost immediately as Nicholson crossed for Pratt, who glanced a header narrowly over the bar. And they had one final opportunity to clinch the points in stoppage time when a poor defensive header fell to Pratt, but his close-range volley skewed wide of the post.