Vanarama National League South
Saturday 12 September 2015 - Twerton Park - kick off 3.00pm
half-time: 0-1 result: D1-1 attendance: 685

team: Phillips, Gallinagh (c), Nicholson, Baldwin, Ball, Hemmings, Kington (Bowman 55), Artus, Pratt, McCootie (Watkins 72), Davies (Williams 55). subs not used: Coupe, Adelsbury.
man of the match: Aden Baldwin
scorers: Baldwin (58)
bookings: none
officials: D Cook, D Austin, C Robson

league position: 2nd form: WWWDdD next match: Gosport Borough (A)

Report taken from

Aden Baldwin kept Bath City's unbeaten record intact with the equalising strike in a hard-fought draw against Hemel Hempstead Town. Oliver Hawkins headed the visitors in front with 15 minutes gone as City were slow to rouse. It took almost until the hour mark for an equaliser to arrive, Baldwin drilling home from close-range following a poorly defended corner. The offside flag and Steve Phillips combined to ward off a couple of late scares for the Romans, who could have won it when Bradley Williams fluffed a gilt-edged chance in the dying minutes. The result saw City drop to second in National League South standings thanks to Ebbsfleet United's win at Margate.

Nick McCootie found himself in behind within two minutes, but was flagged offside as Jamie Butler saved his moot effort. From there, Bath struggled to hold the ball against an energetic Hemel side intent on pressing. They first threatened Phillips' goal when Dan Ball sliced a clearance to Kyle Connolly, who drove over with acres of space ahead of him. Hawkins flicked one header over the bar in a move that was ruled offside, but City failed to heed the threat as he sent a left-wing free-kick into the top corner. And Hemel continued to threaten when Jamie Slabber was allowed a free header that he directed too close to Phillips. Ashley Kington hit a long-range shot into the ground and wide before Slabber found himself at the byline, choosing to shoot at the near post from an acute angle with team-mates bursting into the six-yard box. City's best two chances of the period fell to McCootie, who twice out-muscled the Hemel centre backs. Jon Davies played an intricate through-ball on the first occasion, McCootie failing to get a shot away in time while bearing down on goal. The frontman next robbed Terrell Forbes, but saw his one-on-one effort superbly saved by Butler. It was the hosts who finished the half stronger, although they were unable to find an equaliser as Davies hit the last chance of the period into the side netting after Chas Hemmings set Dave Pratt away into the corner.

Five minutes into the second half Hemel came close to a second. Ben Herd released Connolly down the left, but Slabber failed to get a clean connection on his cross. After Forbes conceded a corner under pressure from McCootie, City found an equaliser when Hemel failed to clear the flag-kick and Baldwin smashed home his first Romans goal from amongst the crowd. Enlivened by the leveller, the hosts began to put sustained pressure on Hemel. After a second corner went to waste, Pratt headed wide from a more central Nicholson free-kick. A wider free-kick from the left-back then found Baldwin at the far post, but his header hit the side netting. Substitute Bradley Williams played a delicate flick to set McCootie in behind once again, however, he stuttered when initially controlling the ball and thumped a hurried drive past the near post. The offside flag offered a lifeline for City when Hawkins thumped a volley into the net. Shortly after a melee ensued in the penalty area, with Phillips getting a touch on the final effort that rolled agonisingly past the upright. With the clock running down the hosts had a glorious chance to win it when Butler pushed Nicholson's shot out to Williams, who failed to get a clean connection with the goal at his mercy. There was one final scare for the Romans as Mo Shariff's cross curled inches wide of Phillips' upright.