Vanarama National League South
Saturday 3 October 2015 - Twerton Park - kick off 3.00pm
half-time: 0-0 result: D0-0 attendance: 779

team: Phillips, Simpson (Bowman 79), Coupe, Ball, Gallinagh, Hemmings, Kington, Artus, Pratt, McCootie (Watkins 70), Davies (Barrow 79). subs not used: Allen, Adelsbury.
man of the match: Andy Gallinagh
scorers: none
bookings: Gallinagh (90)
officials: A Coggins, W Bright, A Humprhies

league position: 4th form: dDLLWd next match: Harlow Town (FAC) (A)

Report taken from

Bath City's winless streak was extended to six matches as they played out a goalless contest with Basingstoke Town defined by a dearth of quality. Neither side was able to create any true gilt-edged opportunities despite putting together reasonable spells of possession. The hosts edged the game in terms of territory and came closest to hitting the net when Jon Davies cut inside and grazed a post. Having lost Kevin Nicholson to the Torquay United dugout in the week, skipper Andy Gallinagh switched to the left-back role while Sekani Simpson returned from injury for his first appearance of the season on the opposite flank.

For much of the opening 25 minutes City had the greater territory, but the only chance they could create was a long-range shot from Ashley Kington that was blocked. Two dangerous crosses from Tom Bird and James Harper came to nothing for Basingstoke, who predominantly built attacks in wide areas as ownership of the ball continued to be sporadic. At the other end, Matt Coupe flicked a header harmlessly wide of the upright before Gallinagh's curling effort sailed into the Bristol End. The City skipper, cutting in from his left-back spot, also had the next chance on goal. He latched onto a poorly-cleared free-kick 30 yards out and beat two players, only to scuff his shot at Aaron Howe. A loose touch from Dan Ball inadvertantly set up the visitors' best chance of the first period, as Manny Williams took possession and teed up Shaun McAuley, whose fierce shot was blocked by Coupe. In stoppage time Nick McCootie robbed Jay Gasson wide of the 18-yard box, but was closed down by three defenders as he burst into the penalty area. Such a dour first period had provided little for the 779 fans inside Twerton Park the highest attendance of the season to date to get energised about. Some of the loudest cheers of the afternoon came for an end-to-end encounter between two school sides played during the break. Even that game finished goalless.

The second half started in brighter fashion for the Romans as Frankie Artus headed into the hands of Howe. McCootie was then offered the chance to run at a back-pedalling Basingstoke defence, but rolled his shot past the far post having teed it up for his right boot. The lack of quality remained the most telling factor and came to light again when Davies wasted a crossing opportunity with Dave Pratt hurtling into the box. Davies was inches from giving City the lead on 65 minutes when he collected a deft touch from McCootie, beat a defender and curled a sublime effort that kissed the right-hand upright. Town skipper David Ray, earlier booked for a fould on McCootie, then failed to take advantage of two half-chances during a melee on the corner of Steve Phillips' six-yard box in a rare attack. Former West Bromwich Albion youngster Danny Barrow added some impetus from the bench for City, and fellow sub Dan Bowman put over a teasing cross that caused confusion among the defence, who eventually cleared. With five minutes to go Kington shared a one-two with Barrow to set him in clear space behind the Basingstoke defence, but Howe's legs kept out his shot from a tight angle. Dave Pratt, in typically bustling fashion, also carved out a yard of space from the edge of the box, only to bend a cross-cum-shot comfortably wide.