FA Cup 3rd Qualifying Round Replay
Tuesday 13 October 2015 - Twerton Park - kick off 3.00pm
half-time: 0-1 result: L1-2 attendance: 330

team: Phillips, Bowman, Gallinagh (c), Coupe (Allen 90), Ball, Hemmings (Barrow 55), Kington, Adelsbury, Pratt, Davies, Artus. subs not used: Barrington, Rollo, Williams.
man of the match: Ashley Kington
scorers: Pratt (88)
bookings: Coupe (90)
officials: T Wood, G Pearce, D Jacecko

league position: n/a form: LLWdDL next match: Sutton United (H)

Report taken from

A severe lack of cutting edge cost Bath City their place in the FA Cup as they were dumped out of the tournament by lowly Harlow Town. The Romans dominated the possession and had the Isthmian League side penned back for the majority of the game. However, goals either side of the break by Alex Read and Lewis Perkins saw them through to a fourth qualifying round tie at Braintree Town, with Dave Pratt's late header a footnote in the record books. City started the game without Sekani Simpson, Nick McCootie and Andy Watkins, and the lack of the strike pair became increasingly evident as the match wore on.

The opening ten minutes saw them in charge of the territory, regularly forcing Harlow to backtrack towards their own goal. A poor header from visiting centre-half Ibrahima Sonko led to the first chance of the game as Pratt kept the ball in and City worked it to Jon Davies, whose shot was deflected behind. As opposed to Saturday's original tie, it was the Romans that looked the more committed and dogged outfit. A sharp sliding tackle from Frankie Artus in the centre of midfield created an opportunity that Ashley Kington curled wide, while Ben Adelsbury temporarily crocked Sonko with a strong challenge. With City probing at will, Harlow were restricted to counter-attacks and had little more than a couple of dangerous near-post crosses to show. Two Artus digs one from a free-kick and the other a 20-yard volley passed without danger before Davies made keeper Nikalus Freund dirty his gloves for the first time with a weak jab. A somewhat ambitious 40-yard dig from Artus then skidded comfortably into the visiting stopper. When chances fell for City, it was the midfield man that invariably had the final effort. His next shot was a free-kick that he drilled directly into the wall, soon followed by a sliced scoop that Freund collected without trouble. But for all their possession, the hosts fell behind after 40 minutes when a static defence watched Junior Dadson slip Read into the box, where he cleanly beat Steve Phillips. Pratt immediately responded with a low drive that had Freund scrambling, although it would nestle in the side netting. An inswinging Artus corner was turned away by the Harlow defence, with a smattering of boos greeting the half-time whistle.

There were signs of life five minutes into the second period as City carved out two early chances. Chas Hemmings and Ben Adelsbury combined to set Pratt bursting into the box, although he could only shoot directly at Freund. A neat flick from Artus also sent Pratt to the byline, but the move ended with Adelsbury firing high over the crossbar. There were still edgy moments to be had at the other end, with Andy Gallinagh forced to clear a Sonko header off the line. For the most part City remained the main attacking force, as Davies, substitute Danny Barrow and Adelsbury missed the target the latter's effort ending up in a Landseer Road back garden. As time ticked on the Romans' dominance only increased, but a lack of cutting edge in the final third was all too clear as numerous players failed to find the required incision. When they were able to get their shots away, a Harlow body was inevitably in to block. The visitors had a brief threatening spell, with Syrus Gordon forcing Phillips into a fine save, before the game fell back into its normal pattern Artus scooping the next opportunity over Freund's goal. Shortly after Phillips kept City in the tie with a stunning fingertip save to deny Dadson on the break, Harlow had a chance to kill the game when Pratt clumsily fouled Fabion Simms in the box. Deadeye hitman Read stepped up to the spot and fluffed his lines with a meek penalty that Phillips pushed away. That spurred the crowd into life and City forward to earn a free-kick. Kington drove the initial shot into the wall, with the ball falling for Artus to hammer through a sea of bodies but straight at Freund. Disastrously, Harlow doubled their advantage when substitute Lewis Perkins spun and coolly slipped the ball into Phillips' far corner. Pratt would nod a City goal just inside Freund's post with two minutes to go, but it proved little more than false hope. When six minutes of injury time were shown by the fourth official they still had an opportunity to keep themselves in the tie. Artus and Chris Allen both found themselves in space at the edge of the box in that time, but two wasteful shots that flew into the Bath End summed up a sorry evening.