Vanarama National League South
Saturday 31 October 2015 - Twerton Park - kick off 3.00pm
half-time: 2-0 result: W2-0 attendance: 478

team: Phillips, Bowman, Gallinagh (c), Coupe, Ball, Hemmings (Williams 84), Kington, Adelsbury, Pratt (Yeoman 85), McCootie (Watkins 72), Mohamed. subs not used: Simpson, John.
man of the match: Steve Phillips
scorers: Adelsbury (16), Mohamed (45)
bookings: none
officials: M Buonassisi, M Wardell, R Cox

league position: 6th form: WdDLLW next match: Bishop's Stortford (A)

Report taken from

Bath City ended their seven-game winless run in the Vanarama National League South with a much-needed victory over Chelmsford City at Twerton Park. A stunning 25-yard strike from Ben Adelsbury and a goal for the returning Kaid Mohamed on the stroke of half time gave Bath a well-earned 2-0 win. It was the home side's first victory in the league since their 5-0 thrashing of Havant & Waterlooville in August and ensured they finished a disappointing October on a high.

Chelmsford actually had the better of the early play and a weaving run by Bagasan Graham ended with a through ball to the influential Matthew Whichelow, who was denied by a flying save from City keeper Steve Phillips. Bath City had their first effort on goal minutes later, but a speculative 30-yard strike from Adelsbury was scuffed well wide of the target. Phillips came to City's rescue again just after the 10 minute mark, when Jordan Brown ran onto Whichelow's through ball and had a one-on-one with the inform keeper, who saved well with his legs. Then, against the run of play, City took the lead through a thunderous 25-yard strike from Adelsbury, which found the top right corner of the net to give him his first goal of the season. Although City took the lead, Chelmsford continued to find space down the right and Robert Girdlestone almost set up Brown in space in the six-yard area, but his low cross failed to beat the first defender. The away side looked most likely to equalise before the break and both Graham and Whichelow had shots on the City goal, but Phillips was able to deal with them comfortably. City almost added a second when Mohamed was slipped through into the box by Ashley Kington, but his low strike was blocked by the legs of Chelmsford keeper Christian Dibble. Phillips demonstrated how vital he is to City once again just before half time, bravely diving at the feet of Brown as he looked destined to equalise. It was a crucial stop and just minutes after almost going into the break all level, City doubled their advantage through Mohamed, who smashed a loose ball home from inside the box to score on his return to the club.

The goal appeared to knock the wind out of Chelmsford and the away side started the second half very slowly, passing the ball around nervously in their own half. There were few chances for either side until a mistake by Lee Sawyer almost allowed City to put the game to bed. The defender badly misjudged a bouncing ball and Mohamed was able to latch onto it and run through on goal, but he delayed his strike and Chelmsford were able to clear their lines. Mohamed continued to look the most dangerous man for the hosts and he tested Dibble again with a curling freekick from the right side of the area. City looked threatening on the break and they went close again through Dave Pratt, who found space in the box and fired a powerful shot towards the top right corner, but Dibble produced a magnificent diving save to keep his side in the game. Chelmsford became more frustrated as the game progressed and substitute Mark Hughes was shown a yellow card for dissent just after the hour mark. Bath were happy to see out the remaining half-hour comfortably, with most of the action taking place in the midfield area, as Chelmsford desperately tried to find a glimmer of hope. A brilliant run from substitute Hugo Skepelhorn saw him break into the box and fire a low shot to Phillips' left, but the City keeper was equal to it. It capped off a magnificent performance from Phillips, whose stops in the first 10 minutes prevented what could have been a much different game for the home side.