Somerset Premier Cup 2nd Round
Tuesday 10 November 2015 - Twerton Park - kick off 7.45pm
half-time: 1-1 result: L1-3 attendance: 122

team: Phillips, John, Grosvenor, Williams, Rollo (c), Simpson (Hutchinson 13), Artus (McCootie 61), Perry, Watkins, Yeoman, Trego (Hackett 74). subs not used: Woolley, Stinson.
man of the match: Miles John
scorers: Artus (pen 27)
bookings: none
officials: S Yianni, C Scriven, D McEllin

league position: n/a form: DLLWLL next match: Oxford City (H)

Report taken from

A mix-and-match Bath City line-up led by youth-team boss Billy Clark was eliminated from the Somerset Premier Cup by a clinical Street. A mistake allowed the Toolstation League side to go ahead through Dale Hunt a mere two minutes in before Frankie Artus atoned by equalising from the penalty spot. But two second-half strikes from Steve Murray and Craig Herrod would send Street into the third round.

The City line-up was a balance of first-team players and youngsters. As promised by Lee Howells, newcomers Ashley Yeoman and Miles John made the starting line-up, as did Somerset cricketer Peter Trego last seen in a Paulton Rovers shirt. Sekani Simpson began the game in defence as he looks to work his way back from injury, but lasted only 13 minutes before being replaced. With reserve goalkeeper Josh Barrington injured, Steve Phillips started in goal, while Andy Watkins played up front. Within 80 seconds Street were ahead. Capitalising on a weak Artus pass, Murray burst from inside his own half and through City's heart. He slipped an inch-perfect through ball behind Jim Rollo for Hunt to roll between the legs of Phillips. Murray's boundless running almost led to a second goal as he charged towards the box and hit a low drive that Phillips tipped past the post. For the first quarter-hour there was little action at the other end except for an Artus cross that fizzed harmlessly across goal. That almost changed suddenly as Brad Williams cracked a thunderbolt from 30 yards that Street keeper Tom Punchard palmed away. Artus also tried his luck from distance with a scything low effort that was deflected off the foot of an upright, while a Louis Perry dig from distance was straight at Punchard. City drew level in bizarre circumstances on 27 minutes when the referee called for a penalty after what seemed an innocuous coming together. Punchard came out to collect an attempted pass, while Watkins and Street defender Lee Begg ran into each other seconds later having given chase. But the linesman deemed Begg to have deliberately floored the City man and, after a discussion with the referee, gave Artus a chance to convert the spot-kick that he duly took. Street refused to lie down and wasted a golden chance to go back in front when Murray spooned Tom Hill's through pass wide. Young substitute Josh Hutchinson, Simpson's replacement, gave Punchard a simple save with a prodded effort, while the Cobblers scrambled a pair of inviting City corners away. Trego, making a start on the left wing, should have had the Romans in front on 40 minutes when he exchanged passes with Watkins, only to fire wide from eight yards. Shortly after, Watkins almost found himself in behind as he bundled past a defender, but was stopped by a fine recovery tackle. Moments after dicey City defending almost saw Street go back in front through a Murray shot that was deflected behind, Tom Clifford-Jones flicked a header inches over Phillips' crossbar.

The second half began brightly for City, as both Hutchinson and Yeoman saw efforts deflected wide. Another mistake from the Romans, this time by Hutchinson, could have allowed Street to go back in front if Murray's finish had had more bite to it. But for the most part it was City who ran the early stages of the second half. A stunning turn of speed let Watkins in behind, Punchard making himself big enough to see the ball away. And yet it was Street who found the next goal through the ever-threatening Murray. His initial effort was blocked, but he had the time to control the rebound, round a defender and roll the ball into the bottom-right corner. They would double their advantage on 71 minutes as Herrod broke clear, traded passes with Murray and finished into the roof of the net. Punchard clawed away a Williams free-kick from under his crossbar as City attempted to rouse for a comeback, with their efforts met by increasing Street numbers dropping back. The only further work that Punchard had to make was to save a tame, off-balance header from Williams, as Street celebrated their first win over the Romans since 1948. Read more: Follow us: @BathChron on Twitter | BathChron on Facebook