FA Trophy 3rd Qualifying Round
Saturday 28 November 2015 - Twerton Park - kick off 3.00pm
half-time: 0-0 result: L0-1 attendance: 362

team: Phillips, Bowman, Gallinagh (c), Batten, Ball, Hemmings, Watkins, Adelsbury, Pratt, Williams, Mohamed (McCootie 76). subs not used: Yeoman, John, Simpson, John.
man of the match: Andy Watkins
scorers: none
bookings: Williams (65), Ball (81)
referee: A Quelch

league position: n/a form: LLLDLL next match: Hayes & Yeading Utd (H)

Report taken from

A stoppage-time penalty from Jason Prior saw Bath City cruelly dumped out of the FA Trophy at the first hurdle by Bognor Regis Town. After the Romans had run much of the opening half-hour, the game settled into an even pattern. Still, they had struck the woodwork three times during the game - twice during a first-half scramble in the goalmouth and again through Andy Watkins after the interval. But the hosts had also hit a post and would have been good value for the draw in what was an even game until the dramatic conclusion. Bristol City loan signing Jack Batten came straight into the line-up for his Romans debut, while Chas Hemmings and Dan Bowman also came into the line-up with Nick McCootie dropped to the bench and Frankie Artus suspended.

Bognor began the game with an incisive move that could have led to an early opener. Stuart Green swept the ball wide into the path of Ollie Pearce, who in turn curled over a delicious cross that Prior headed over. But from that point on, City ran much of the play and controlled the possession. Although Chas Hemmings sliced their first opportunity wide from long range as the defence backed off, a series of chances came soon enough. Dan Bowman whipped in a cross from the right that was almost diverted past home keeper Grant Smith by one of his defenders. Dave Pratt collected the loose ball at the byline, but he and Watkins were kept out by the scrambling Smith, his defence and the woodwork from mere yards out. The hosts were still able to create a couple of chances, mostly from wide areas, and saw Chike Kandi and Prior send efforts wide. Just short of the half-hour, Watkins picked the pocket of Smith as he shielded a ball trickling out for a goal kick. With Smith well out of his goal, Watkins hurriedly chose to turn and shoot shoot from an acute angle rather than look up for a red shirt, and found the side netting. With the storm weathered, the hosts rattled the inside of Steve Phillips' post as a left-wing cross cleared two players and dropped onto Prior's foot for a stinging volley.

Phillips saved City from conceding the opener five minutes into the second period as he tipped a whipped Pearce effort which followed a well-worked one-two with wideman Kandi past his far post. Pratt drew a diving save out of Smith on 58 minutes when he charged forwards and fired an effort towards the near post. Within two minutes Watkins was hauled over by Sami El-Abd who ended up in the book with the resulting free-kick from Kaid Mohamed headed into a bunch of bodies by Pratt at the corner of the six-yard box. Pratt sent a volley into the midriff of Smith after a Mohamed volley had been blocked, shortly before drawing a corner from the defence. Mohamed failed to beat the first man from the dead-ball delivery, allowing Harvey Whyte to sprint 90 yards down the pitch and narrowly clear the crossbar with a dipping strike. Another sweeping City move found Watkins on the right, who ripped a 20-yard effort that thudded off an upright. Centre-back while Dan Ball, meanwhile, picked up the pieces at a corner and had a shot destined for the bottom corner booted clear by a defender. But as the match seemed to be drifting towards a Tuesday night replay at Twerton Park, substitute Gary Charman was tripped just inside the box, allowing Prior to caress his spot-kick just inside the left-hand post to send the Rocks through.