Vanarama National League South
Saturday 19 December 2015 - Stonebridge Road - kick off 3.00pm
half-time: 0-0 result: W1-0 attendance: 1115

team: Phillips, Simpson, Gallinagh (c), Batten, Ball, Adelsbury, Bowman, Williams (Hemmings 72), McCootie (Pratt HT), Mohamed, Artus. subs not used: Coupe, Smith.
man of the match: Dan Ball
scorers: Mohamed (90+2)
bookings: McCootie (38)
officials: L Betts, D Geary, S Brown

league position: 10th form: LDLLLW next match: Truro City (H)

Report taken from

An outstanding last minute individual goal from Kaid Mohamed gave Bath City a shock 1-0 win against runaway National League South leaders Ebbsfleet Utd at Stonebridge Road. City looked to be heading for the point their diligent defending had deserved until Mohamed controlled the ball on his thigh 30 yards out, skipped past a couple of challenges and arrowed an unstoppable looping shot into the top corner from 20 yards. Having seen points snatched away through last minute winners in their last two games, this one which also ended a seven match winless streak, came as something of a blessed relief.

Though Ebbsfleet's dynamic frontline and clever movement posed a constant challenge to City's powers of concentration, a highly disciplined defensive display led by Dan Ball kept the hosts at arms length for most of the match. This was accentuated by the first quarter of the game as they played some lovely football without creating a clear cut chance. Danny Kedwell and Jordan Parkes both narrowly failed to connect their heads to enticing deliveries from full back Matt Fish wide on the right early on before Parkes had a shot well blocked by Jack Batten. At the other end, Nick McCootie was denied the first of two penalty claims as he was felled by Kenny Clark but the referee waved it away leaving the City dugout incensed. Fleet then found their groove. Matt Godden chipped a return pass over Kedwell's shoulder on the right edge of the box. Quick as a flash he brought the ball down and drilled an early volley towards the near post which Steve Phillips did well to parry behind. City appeared happy to contain the hosts but were a constant threat on the counter attack, with Mohamed looking the most dangerous. When he skipped clear of the home defence and closed in on goal on 28 minutes only a desperate last ditch lunge by Clark denied him. Whether Clark claimed the ball or just Mohamed was a matter for conjecture but it certainly sparked both sets of players and supporters into life. Gidden and Parkes then exchanged passes inside the City defensive third with Godden's eventual shot clipping the outside of Phillips' post before John Paul Kissock curled an 18 yard effort wide after being well found by Fish. Despite the half threatening to boil over when McCootie went in strongly on Dean Rance to initiate a ruckus which involved both sets of players, a yellow card for both McCootie and Rance had to suffice.

McCootie was hauled off at half time to ore end further problems and as a result the second half was a quieter affair without much goalmouth action of note . Kedwell though did spurn a great chance. Quick thinking by Kissock saw him slip a quick free kick into the ex-Gillingham man. With the City defence momentarily lapsing the resulting slash over the bar from 15 yards under no real pressure has to go down as a bad miss. With Fleet manager Daryl McMahon cutting an increasingly desperate figure on the touchline, he went for broke by bringing on Charlie Sheringham for Kissock to bolster his attack but this only served to leave more gaps for City to exploit. And with the game petering out, how Mohamed exploited it to send the Bath bench into mass hysteria and end a terrible run in the best possible way.