Vanarama National League South
Saturday 9 January 2016 - Twerton Park - kick off 3.00pm
half-time: 0-1 result: L0-2 attendance: 710

team: Phillips, Bowman, Greenslade (Richards 68), Simpson, Batten, Gallinagh(c), Kington (Hemmings 60), Adelsbury, McCootie (Pratt 65), Watkins, Artus. subs not used: Smith, Williams.
man of the match: Dan Bowman
scorers: none
bookings: Adelsbury (45), McCootie (59)
officials: T Wood, M Dadds, J Ainscow

league position: 11th form: LLLWLL next match: Dartford (A)

Report taken from

A new year and a new formation could not bring Bath City a first home victory since October as goals at either end of a rain-soaked encounter saw high-flying Maidstone United leave victorious. The Romans entered the contest playing a 3-5-2 formation, but fell behind within three minutes when Dan Sweeney headed home. While City gradually grew into the contest, they were unable to equalise, although Nick McCootie would fire a gilt-edged chance past an upright after the interval. And the Stones would wrap up the points when substitute Jay May converted a cross 13 minutes from time.

Maidstone had scored just six minutes into September's reverse fixture - and they took a little over two to break the deadlock at Twerton Park. The visitors had earned an early corner following Charles Banya's break, with City unable to push out after clearing the set-piece. The ball was worked out to Vas Karagiannis on the right, who swung over a deep cross that Sweeney nodded in at the far post. Sweeney was presented with another opportunity when City gave up possession to Alex Akrofi in their own third, but the hefty frontman's shot was low and straight at Steve Phillips. The first opportunity the Romans saw fell to debutant wing-back Danny Greenslade. An Ashley Kington free-kick had been cleared, but City recycled possession for Greenslade, whose shot deflected off a defender and looped kindly into the arms of Lee Worgan. Phillips, meanwhile, had to remain alert to reach up and snatch a ball that had rebounded goalward off Sweeney's head at corner. Greenslade was next to try his luck for the hosts as he muscled the ball away from two defenders and fired low at Worgan. A minute later City were again in a good position when Bowman charged down the right. His cross was too high for Nick McCootie, but Greenslade picked up the pieces and fired in a low cross for Andy Watkins, who was thwarted by Worgan from close range. Worgan was tested again when McCootie and Watkins exchanged touches at the edge of the box, with the former forcing an awkward diving save from the Stones stopper. A Karagiannis free-kick was hacked away from the line as it curled dangerously towards the far corner, and City worked the resulting break to Ben Adelsbury, only for the final cross to be knocked away.

Early in the second period, Maidstone burst forward on the counter as Bowman was left in a heap from a Joe Healy challenge. Banya proceeded to charge past Andy Gallinagh and Adelsbury on the left, and send a low cross towards the near post that was just knocked into the side netting by a defender with Akrofi lurking. The hosts should have been level just before the hour when a Frankie Artus free-kick was diverted into the path of McCootie ten yards out, but he fired across despite being presented with a clear sight of Worgan's net. Substitute Chas Hemmings then snatched at a volleyed chance in a prolonged spell of pressure as City looked to get level. Artus also saw a tame effort held by Worgan before Hemmings flicked a corner towards the back post, where Maidstone were able to scramble behind as Dave Pratt lingered in a dangerous postition. However, City's efforts would be unraveled when Maidstone doubled their advantage on 77 minutes. Callum Driver won possession for the visitors, drove down the right-hand side and crossed for May to force the ball home from within the six-yard box. May's hustling approach almost created a third when he crossed from the byline for Bobby-Joe Taylor, who hit the near post from a tight angle, while May had another shot of his own blocked by Sekani Simpson.