Vanarama National League South
Saturday 23 January 2016 - Twerton Park- kick off 3.00pm
half-time: 0-1 result: L0-1 attendance: 576

team: Phillips, Bowman, Gallinagh (c), Coupe (Greenslade 70), Batten, Adelsbury, Kington, Williams (Pratt 53), McCootie (Richards 59), Watkins, Artus. subs not used: Hemmings.
man of the match: Andy Watkins
scorers: none
bookings: Bowman (90), Kington (90)
officials: C Lymer, M Heavey, J Creswick

league position: 15th form: LWLLLL next match: Eastbourne Bor (A)

Report taken from

Another early goal saw Bath City slip to their fourth successive defeat - but they had more than their fair share of chances to break that losing streak against Concord Rangers. The Romans, managerless after the departure of Lee Howells in the week, conceded the opening goal for the ninth time in 11 games when James White converted direct from a free-kick. However, Ashley Kington, Nick McCootie and Andy Watkins all had clear-cut chances kept out by Concord keeper Ben McNamara, with substitute Eliot Richards sending a header over the top from close in.

City looked less than crisp throughout the first half and threatened to play themselves into trouble on countless occasions. Two minutes in Steve Phillips charged off his line and punched a free-kick into a group of bodies. The ball fell for Max Cornhill at the edge of the box, and he curled a shot wide of the right-hand post with Phillips scrambling back towards his goal. Seconds later McCootie skipped past a challenge in the centre circle, charged forward and played Kington into space, with the midfielder's shot saved by McNamara. On the quarter-hour, City fell behind when Kington fouled Michael Thalassitis on the edge of the penalty area and White stepped up to find the net via the foot of the near post. McCootie blazed an effort 20 feet high and wide at the other end before Ben Greenhalgh got on the end of a goal-kick, turned at the edge of the box and bent a shot around Phillips' far post. And again, McCootie showed excellent strength to hold off a defender, but arrowed a strike over the crossbar. The striker would have the best chance of the opening period on 28 minutes when he latched onto an intricate ball out of the defence and cut inside a defender from ten yards, only for McNamara to dash from his line and thwart the final effort. While City were often scrappy in possession, they had the last chance of the first half when Frankie Artus bundled his way past two defenders and cut back for Watkins, who could not get a clean connection with his first-time shot.

The hosts again passed up a more than presentable chance moments into the second half. Artus sent Watkins clear in the left-hand channel, with the striker's eventual square pass dummied by McCootie for Brad Williams, but his attempted low finish was blocked. The defence did well to ward Greenhalgh across the box as Concord tried in vain to get a foothold in the second period, as City held most of the territory. After Andy Gallinagh had seen a low cross snapped up by McNamara, Watkins was the next player to find himself played through, although the Rangers stopper again shut down the angle well, absorbing the shot in his chest. Shortly after, the City hitman was set free on the left by Artus for a second time. Watkins pulled away from a chasing defender in the box, but had his driven centre turned behind with substitute Richards waiting to provide the finishing touch. Danny Greenslade, another introduction from the bench, worked space on the left to whip in a dangerous cross to the far post. Dave Pratt nodded a ball back across goal that Richards flicked over the crossbar from the corner of the six-yard box. Another chance found its way to Richards' head from a Pratt cross, but the Cheltenham Town loanee was unable to climb high enough to hit the target. Pratt was narrowly caught by the offside trap on a burst through the heart of the defence - during which he was brought down by a sliding McNamara - and brushed an Artus free-kick across goal as time ran out on the Romans.