Vanarama National League South
Tuesday 19 April 2016 - - kick off ?pm
half-time: 0-1 result: L0-3 attendance: 442

team: Phillips (c), Bowman, Ball, Batten, Hemmings, Murphy, Kington (Perry 61), Kelly (Hutchinson 80), Pratt (Williams 61), McCootie, Watkins. subs not used: Bole.
man of the match: Nick McCootie
scorers: none
bookings: Batten (17), Perry (85)
officials: S Yianni, S Oakey, M Dadds

league position: 17th form: LWLWWL next match: Hayes & Yeading Utd (A)

Report taken from

Clinical Whitehawk gave Bath City a lesson in set-piece precision as they left Twerton Park with a comfortable victory. The visitors' first two goals bagged by Alex Osborn and Danny Rose in the early stages of either half were sprung from dead-balls, with Mike West's third the end product of a perfect lofted pass and slick finish. On the overall balance of play the final scoreline was perhaps harsh on the Romans, who twice had goals washed away for offside in the first period most notably when Dave Pratt pushed a ball already destined for the net over the line.

The first real action of the game saw Whitehawk take the lead. A central free-kick was lifted onto the head of Mills, whose flick-on found Osborn with enough time and space to lift the ball over Steve Phillips. City probed with little luck for 20 minutes, with the first incursion into the box a Liam Kelly free-kick that whipped around the back and was prodded behind by a reaching Chas Hemmings. Though no more than a half-chance, it sparked a good spell of pressure, starting with a direct free-kick from Kelly that was easily held by keeper Craig Ross, who refused to be fooled by its far-post direction. Pratt then ran in behind and cut back for McCootie, but the scrambling Ross got enough of a block to divert the ball away from his goal. The visitors, however, had chances of their own. Billy Murphy took a lackadaisical touch and lost the ball to Osborn in the middle. The goalscorer dashed down the right and sent an inch-perfect angled ball in that Mills jabbed wide on the volley with no defenders close. Another Hawks dead-ball found the head of defender Jordan Rose to draw a sharp reaction save out of Phillips. The resulting corner was flicked over the bar by Rose, who had another chance before long, rising to head a left-wing Dave Martin corner too high. The first of City's two disallowed first-half goals came on 37 minutes when Kelly lifted a ball over the top for McCootie to take around Ross and slot home before play was pulled back. The Romans frontman passed up a shooting opportunity just before the break as he flicked the ball over Rose and charged away from the felled centre-half, but was forced wide by the covering defence. He would get another chance to run in behind, however, as he raced onto a clever through ball from Kelly. McCootie's attempted low cross looped up off a defender, over Ross and looked to be heading over the line, but the linesman's flag was stoutly raised when Pratt knocked the ball, already bouncing goalward, in from less than a yard out.

The second period began with yet another Kelly free-kick that arced past the near post at the Bath end. City had been troubled by Whitehawk set-pieces all night, and the visitors notched a second from a corner in the 53rd minute. It began with a bursting run down the left by Martin, his hoicked cross met by a Mills header that Phillips tipped over. The finishing touch could not have been more simple as Nick Arnold's flag-kick was powered home by Rose. Arnold then created the third with a well-placed long ball from inside his own half for West to chase down and loop over Phillips. Gary Owers made a double substitution after the third goal, throwing Louis Perry and Brad Williams into the action with the hope of producing a spark. Watkins scooped an effort into the terrace and McCootie was inches away from connecting with a Dan Ball cross, but there was no work for Ross. There were shouts of handball when Hemmings headed a corner into the frame of a blocking defender, with Watkins denied by a diving Ross save when the ball then fell his way. A long drive from David Ijaha almost found a way through the hands of Phillips as the game petered out, with no further digs at goal until stoppage-time. Hawks' left-back Sam Rents twisted enough space to fire in a shot that Phillips awkwardly pushed into the path of substitute Sam Gargan, who somehow struck the post from four yards out with an open goal at his mercy.