Vanarama National League South
Tuesday 16 August 2016 - Treyew Road - kick off 7.45pm
half-time: 0-0 result: W3-1 attendance: 468

team: Phillips, Bowman, Ball (c), Hemmings, Monthe, Rigg, Diallo (Hunter HT), Murphy, Fleetwood (Marshall 75), Morgan (Hutchinson 85), Watkins. subs not used: Batten, Elcock.
man of the match: Marvin Morgan
scorers: Morgan (54), Muprhy (pen 81), Hunter (89)
bookings: none
officials: R Hulme, T Burley, R Lawrence

league position: 10th form: --LLWW next match: Bishop's Stortford (A)

Report taken from

Bath City picked up their first three points on the road with a deserved 3-1 success at Truro. Gary Owers made one enforced change from Saturday's win over St Albans; Stuart Fleetwood replacing Nick McCootie, who failed a late fitness test.

An error-strewn first half gave little indication of what was in store for the second, as a series of misplaced passes from each side resulted in a turgid opening 45. A couple of breakdowns in communication put City under pressure early on, with Niall Thomson flashing a shot just wide after a mix-up between Dan Ball and Steve Phillips. Thomson was one of the more energetic players early on, his fizzing low cross just evading former Bodmin forward Andrew Neal in the middle. But that near miss was nothing compared to the escape at the other end on the stroke of half-time. After Billy Murphy's corner was half-cleared, Manny Monthe's cross was met by Chas Hemmings at the far post. The centre-back, on target on Saturday, was convinced he had nodded the ball home from close range, but referee and assistant were unmoved as Andy Watkins' follow-up drifted just wide.

Owers was forced to shuffle his pack at half-time, replacing Naby Diallo, who'd aggravated a back injury, with Shaquille Hunter, moving Watkins to the opposite wing. It sparked more life into the City attack with Marvin Morgan suddenly finding more space behind the hosts' back four. He shot tamely at Adriano Basso, the 41-year old former Bristol City stopper, when set clear by George Rigg soon after the restart, but made amends with the opening goal of the evening on 54 minutes. The muscular front man held off Aaron Bentley down the left, marched towards the penalty area and stroked the ball inside Basso's near post. Morgan and Fleetwood failed to capitalise on decent openings for the Romans, the latter blazing over from Watkins' pass from a counter-attack. They were nearly made to pay for the profligacy in front of goal as the Cornish outfit pressed for an equaliser, spurred on by the introduction of Les Afful, scorer of two from the bench in the corresponding game last season. Firstly, Cody Cooke's through ball played through Neal. The diminutive forward attempted to round Phillips but the keeper managed to touch the ball away with an outstretched leg and then produced an even better save from the resulting corner, palming Arran Pugh's header onto the bar. A breathless final ten minutes set pulses racing as the match drew to an enthralling finish. On 82 minutes it looked like game over. Watkins fell over Jamie Richards' trailing leg just inside the penalty area, with referee Richard Hulme pointing to the spot. Billy Murphy stepped up and sent Basso the wrong way, confidently netting his first goal for the club. Truro threw caution to the wind, pushing giant centre-back Pugh forward, and they scrambled a goal back when Ryan Brett reacted quickest in the six-yard box to Afful's dangerous ball. The Somerset men had Phillips to thank for keeping them ahead. Pugh's header was cleared off the line and Cooke's follow-up shot was brilliantly fingertipped away from the City keeper, who was then relieved to see Thomson somehow touch wide from a yard out. It was a crucial miss. Bath exploited the gaps at the back in the dying minutes with Hunter tying Shane White in knots before driving a shot home inside Basso's right hand post, his first for the club sealing an impressive victory.