Vanarama National League South
Saturday 20 August 2016 - Woodside Park - kick off 3.00pm
half-time: 0-0 result: W1-0 attendance: 301

team: Phillips, Bowman, Ball (c), Hemmings, Monthe, Rigg, Diallo (Marshall 84), Murphy, Fleetwood (McCootie 64), Morgan, Watkins (Hunter 2). subs not used: Batten, Hutchinson.
man of the match: Manny Monthe
scorers: Diallo (50)
bookings: Monthe (60)
officials: tbc

league position: 9th form: --LLWWW next match: East Thurrock United (H)

Report taken from

Naby Diallo's smart strike proved enough for Bath City as they picked up their third successive win in Vanarama National League South at Bishop's Stortford. The midfielder's first goal for the club was a rare highlight in a match hampered by an unpredictable gale blowing across the pitch.

The afternoon got off to a nightmare start for Gary Owers' men as Andy Watkins pulled up within a minute with a groin strain, which meant an early introduction for Shaquille Hunter. Stortford created the better openings in an even start to the match. Steve Phillips was alert to keep out a Tambeson Eyong header, and also did enough to prevent Dominic Green sneaking a shot inside his near post after he held off Manny Monthe. Monthe was first to test Joe Wright at the other end when his shot on the turn from Stuart Fleetwood's cross was comfortably gathered by the home glovesman. The number one was slightly further stretched ten minutes before the interval as Diallo's persistence eventually saw the ball run kindly for Marvin Morgan, whose stinging shot was finger-tipped over. Eyong tried his luck from distance with half-time approaching, his daisy-cutter taking a slight deflection before falling just wide of Phillips' right hand post.

Each side imposed themselves on the game more at the start of the second half, and City's efforts were rewarded with a goal on 50 minutes. Dan Bowman's ball forward found the chest of Marvin Morgan, with his back to goal. The forward momentarily lost possession and in trying to win it back, brushed aside home defender Claudiu Vilcu. With the Romanian out of position, Diallo was able to exploit the space and retrieve Morgan's intelligent lay-off before unleashing a thunderous first-time strike across Wright and into the net from 14 yards. It was a rare moment of inspiration in a lackluster contest. The Blues responded by bringing on attacking players in Chace O'Neill, Jermaine Osei and Evans Koassi in quick succession, but it was defender Vilcu who came closest to scoring. His audacious overhead kick from 18 yards out following a corner flew a couple of yards off target, but drew applause from the majority of the crowd. George Rigg scuffed a shot of target in the dying moments as City pressed for a second, whilst at the other end they comfortably dealt with a succession of aimless balls forward from the hosts, who lacked a killer pass throughout. Captain Dan Ball and Co. in defence were near faultless, their closing down preventing Phillips from being seriously tested. Far from a classic, but Owers and his charges won't mind one bit as they continue to climb the table.