Pre-Season Friendly
Tuesday 26 July 2016 - Twerton Park - kick off 7.45pm
half-time: 0-1 result: L0-1 attendance: 725

team: Wollacott (Phillips HT), Rigg (Mitchell 76), Ball, (c) (Huth HT), Batten, Monthe, Hemmings (Elcock 83), Artus (Diallo 52), Marshall (Bowman 63), Morgan (Hutchinson 75), McCootie (Fleetwood 63), Watkins (Hunter 63). subs not used: Gordan, Kotwica.
man of the match: Manny Monthe
scorers: none
bookings: none
officials: S Yianni, S Fearnley, R Morris

league position: n/a form: DLLWDL next match: Torquay United (A)

Report taken from

Bath City put in a hard-working performance but fell foul of a Bobby Reid wonder goal against Bristol City. The main talking point for the Romans was Frankie Artus' dislocated left elbow, which drew an ambulance to Twerton Park shortly after he was taken off in the second period. They created a handful of chances early on, but once Reid thumped in the game's only goal just past the half-hour, the Robins saw the majority of the ball. Yet it remained 1-0 at full-time, thanks in part to a penalty save from half-time substitute Steve Phillips. Injury worries Chas Hemmings and George Rigg both returned to a Romans' starting line-up that saw Stuart Fleetwood drop to the bench. Naby Diallo was once again in the dugout, as was Paraguayan international Ronald Huth, who was back in the squad. Interestingly for Gary Owers' side was the appearance of Robin Jo Jo Wollacott in goal, while also named on the bench for the away side.

The hosts made a strong start as Nick McCootie's deft flick ran for Andy Watkins to draw a save out of Bath-born keeper Max O'Leary. Bristol City always looked threatening coming forward, however. They had an early goal chalked away for offside, while Wollacott made a simple save from an Aaron Wilbraham header. O'Leary had a nervy moment has he was forced to back-pedal and tip an over-hit George Rigg free-kick behind, with Marvin Morgan heading the resulting corner over from eight yards. Watkins cut inside and drove well of target following a strong run from Morgan that had the visiting defence backtracking, but the Robins soon began to turn the screw. They should have gone ahead when Diego De Girolamo played Kieran Agard into acres of space behind a static defence, only for Wollacott to save the day. He struggled to hold a Diego shot that was swiped away by the Romans defence, before the sole goal came in spectacular fashion. Reid received the ball in his own half, ran into the deserted space in the centre and unleashed a pinpoint thunderbolt into the top-left corner. From then on in, it was the visitors that took command. Agard forced another sharp stop from Wollacott turning down the option of a pass to the vacant Wilbraham. Morgan's toe flirted with a dangerous Rigg cross but was unable to make contact, while a deflected Freeman shot had Wollacott scrambling to pat the ball wide.

The second period was dour from the start, with the injury to Artus sullying proceedings. After his free-kick failed to beat the first man, he fell awkwardly challenging underneath the cleared ball. Three physios came over to treat the midfielder before two St John's Ambulance workers also arrived on the scene. In the end, Artus was helped to his feet and walked off the pitch with the Bristol City physio holding his left arm straight. Chances were few for the hosts, although Manny Monthe, moved to left-back as Huth came on to play in the middle, made two gallant, eye-catching runs but lacked a cross. Agard and Diego then combined to set up Joe Morrell for a screaming drive that Phillips tipped over. There should have been a second for the Robins when Huth was caught in possession and Wilbraham ran through, only to jab wide. The defender's night got worse when he gave up a penalty for a trip on substitute George Andrews. This time it was Phillips who spared his blushes with a low stop from Freeman's low, meek spot-kick. The veteran keeper had another save in his locker before the night was up, diving to his left to palm away a curling Wilbraham shot destined for the far post.