FA Cup 2nd Qualifying Round Replay
Tuesday 20 September 2016 - Marsh Lane - kick off 7.45pm
half-time: 1-1 result: W2-1 aet attendance: 228

team: O'Leary, Rigg, Ball (c), Artus, Monthe, Batten, Diallo (Hemmings 76), Murphy (Marshall 90), McCootie, Morgan (Hutchinson 97), Hunter. subs not used: Fleetwood, Hickford, Bowman.
man of the match: Manny Monthe
scorers: Artus (24)
bookings: Ball (??), Monthe (116)
dismissal: Hunter (75)
officials: C Pollard, R Cook, D Nicholson

league position: n/a form: WLLWDW next match: Hemel Hempstead (A)

Report taken from

Bath City progressed to the third Qualifying Round of the FA Cup and a trip to Potters Bar Town having finally overcome a stubborn Oxford City side at Marsh Lane. Once again Michael Fondop netted his customary goal against the Romans, heading home his fourth in a fortnight. But Frankie Artus' close-range finish and an extra-time own goal proved enough for Gary Owers' men, who ended the side with ten men following the second half dismissal of Shaquille Hunter.

The third meeting in 14 days played a part in a nondescript opening to the game, with Dan Ball's vital interception preventing a Martin Ofuso tap-in as the hosts broke strongly in a rare highlight. It took 21 minutes for the deadlock to be broken. Tom Winters, recalled to the starting line-up for the home side, curled in a free-kick which was met by Fondop, who looped a header past the helpless Max O'Leary from 12 yards. City replied within five minutes. Billy Murphy's corner was helped on by Marvin Morgan and powered into the roof of the net from the knee of Artus, his first goal from open play since betting a brace at the same stage last year against Bodmin Town. Morgan, promoted to the starting XI having impressed from the bench in the original tie, nearly added to his goal on Saturday after he weaved inside of two defenders before hammering an effort against the top of the bar.

The second half started with more attacking intent from both sides. Naby Diallo warmed the gloves of Jack Stevens with a low strike soon after the restart, but it was the hosts who had a better chance to regain the lead. Jack Batten's attempt to play the frontline offside went awry, and it left Fondop clear. For once his clinical finishing eluded him, as his strike clipped the outside of the post when he should have tested O'Leary. Batten made amends soon after, robbing Ofusu when he was in the clear after a storming run and cross from Godfrey Poku. Morgan tested the woodwork once again on 65 minutes. Murphy's free-kick was met at the far post by the towering forward, but Stevens did just enough to deflect it onto the angle of post and bar. Nick McCootie, whose endless running throughout meant the home defence rarely had a time to settle, nearly claimed an assist when his cross took the slightest nick off Lee Henderson, which deceived Hunter at the far post as he failed to control and in trying to retrieve the loose ball, ended up fouling Stevens. It summed up a frustrating evening for Hunter, who let his emotions get the better of him on 74 minutes. He had initially won a free-kick from Freddie Grant, but immediately after flattened the full-back with a needless headbutt. Referee Christopher Pollard had little option but to produce a red card, which provoked a melee and had assistant manager Jim Rollo ushering Hunter off the pitch. Gary Owers reacted by introducing Chas Hemmings for Naby Diallo. It proved a worthwhile substitution as minutes after his introduction, the holding midfielder prevented a certain goal with a timely intervention after George Rigg's under-hit back-pass created an opening for Kynan Isaac. Aside from that and a long-range drive from Jonny Giles, Oxford failed to make use of the man advantage.

Each side freshened up for extra time with Lee Marshall and Josh Hutchinson introduced for City in place of Murphy and Morgan, with Oxford bringing on Kaylem Patterson and Shaun McAuley. Isaac's shot from 18 yards saw O'Leary gather in the hosts' only effort on target in the first half of extra-time. The Romans also only produced one strike on goal in the same period and, through fortunate circumstances, it ended up in the back of the net. Bath City fan Bob Chester on what the Big Bath City Bid means to the club McCootie, reduced to basically walking pace by this stage, found Hutchinson on the left. The persistence of the young forward paid dividends as he worked his way to the byline. In attempting to intercept, Poku inadvertently got the final touch on Hutchinson's cross and somehow hooked it over the stranded Stevens from a near-impossible angle. It was the final kick of the half, as the last 15 minutes saw a heroic effort from the ten men. Poku nearly made amends straight after the restart, slotting home from Davies' pass, but an offside flag denied him. McAuley headed straight at O'Leary in another opening and Isaac dragged a shot inches wide as City defended for their lives. At the other end, McCootie found one final burst of pace, curling a shot just wide in stoppage time from O'Leary's goal kick. It didn't matter as moments later the final whistle provoked scenes of jubilation, and relief as City advanced to a meeting with Potters Bar.