FA Cup 3rd Qualifying Round Replay
Tuesday 4 October 2016 - Twerton Park - kick off 7.45pm
half-time: 1-1 result: D1-1 aet attendance: 465
(City lost 4-3 on penalties)

team: O'Leary, Rigg, Monthe, Artus (c), Batten, Hemmings, Diallo (Bowman 56), Murphy (Marshall ET), McCootie, Morgan, Watkins (Hutchinson 44). subs not used: Fleetwood.
man of the match: Manny Monthe
scorers: Murphy (19)
bookings: Diallo (54), McCootie (118)
officials: R Massey-Ellis, D Lamport, G Pearce

league position: n/a form: WDWDdD next match: Eastbourne Boro (H)

Report taken from

Potters Bar Town became the third lower-league team in as many seasons to dump Bath City out of the FA Cup. It took a penalty shootout for the Scholars to win it; visiting stopper Ravan Constable keeping out Chas Hemmings' sudden-death spot-kick to spark the celebrations for Southern League Bar. It should, however, never have made it that far. Much like the original tie at the weekend, City were dominant from the off, but this time they went ahead through Billy Murphy on 20 minutes. But they switched off just before the interval to allow Michael Murray to level, and from then on their impressive performance dissipated. The tidy passing and attacking threat from the first period dried up as they became evermore tentative and began to rely on pumping long balls forward with no luck. They did draw Constable into one superb save during the extra-time period when Marvin Morgan headed goalward, but that aside what threats they did create more often than not dried up on the final ball.

Gary Owers made two changes to the side that started the first game against the Scholars. Dan Ball, who had limped out with a twisted ankle in the first half at the weekend, was replaced by Jack Batten, pushing Manny Monthe out to left-back. Nick McCootie also returned from suspension in place of Stuart Fleetwood. Once again Bar sat off City and allowed them to dominate - but this time around the Romans had more about them. They knocked the ball around more incisively and regularly got into excellent attacking positions. McCootie and Andy Watkins had already missed the target before each somehow failed to score in the space of ten seconds. Watkins had the first effort, his looping header back across goal nodded off the line. That clearance sat up straight for McCootie, six-yards out, to somehow graze the top of the crossbar when the net should have been rippling. Little matter, they were ahead on 19 minutes as Monthe thrashed in a low cross that was swept away from the line but straight to Murphy, who slapped in his second goal of the season. Chances still flowed, with Watkins getting to the byline and crossing for McCootie to acrobatically lift over. Both Watkins and Naby Diallo shot into the hands of Constable arguably Saturday's man of the match as City continued to press. The Bar keeper was stretched further when Diallo ran onto to a clearing George Rigg header and slipped Morgan in to smash goalwards, forcing Constable to push the ball wide. But somehow the visitors got themselves on terms by half-time. City came off worse in a midfield scrap for the ball and one simple pass caught the defence static, with Eoin Casey and Murray racing clear and the latter stroking a shot into the bottom corner from the edge of the box.

O'Leary was forced into his first testing save early in the second period when Murray aimed low for his right-hand post, the Bristol City loanee getting across to knock it wide. Right back at the other end City could well have gone in front again when Josh Hutchinson broke forward and played the ball to McCootie out wide. He cut back in and crossed for Morgan to pull a pointblank save from Constable with a close-range header. Another Morgan header skipped up off the turf and made life difficult for Constable, while McCootie nodded over from the recycled attack that followed. Both Dan Bowman and McCootie were unlucky to just miss out on finishing touches to dangerous centres, but City also had a scare when Casey attempted to lob O'Leary, only to be called offside as Monthe punted the ball away from the line. Morgan then laid off to Hutchinson in the box, but the wideman was thwarted by a sprawling Constable. In the final minute of stoppage time, O'Leary spilled a Bar free-kick, only to be bailed out by his defence, while Billy Murphy had a direct corner booted away from the far post in the final act of the 90 minutes.

Extra time largely passed without action, barring two minutes at the end of the first period. Scholars keeper Constable almost had a blooper reel moment when he thought a Bowman cross had gone out, jumped up and swung off the crossbar. Yet he got a shock when it rattled the bar and came back into play, his defence sparing his blushes. Constable looked much more impressive moments later when he leapt to his left at full stretch to parry away another Morgan header with the final true chance either side created before the leering spectre of spot-kicks arrived. Lee Marshall had one penalty saved, but O'Leary got City back in it when he kept out Gary Jones. However, Hemmings' final penalty was hit low, right down the centre and rebounded off a jubilant Constable to end another Romans FA Cup run in despair.