National League South
Saturday 5 November 2016 - Twerton Park - kick off 3.00pm
half-time: 1-1 result: D2-2 attendance: 479

team: O'Leary, Batten, Ball (c) (Murphy HT), Hemmings, Monthe, Artus, Rigg (Hunter 75), Diallo (McCootie HT), Watkins, Morgan, Broom. subs not used: Hutchinson, Marshall.
man of the match: Max O'Leary
scorers: Watkins (42), Monthe (90+3)
bookings: none
officials: G Parsons, J Robinson, M Bloor

league position: 12th form: dDDLLD next match: Maidenhead Utd (A)

Report taken from

Manny Monthe poached a stoppage-time point for Bath City against low-riding Concord Rangers. Steve Cawley's brace appeared to have won it for the away side, who began the day second bottom of the National League South standings. He had put Rangers ahead on 16 minutes, only for City to level before the break with Andy Watkins' first goal of the season. Max O'Leary made three excellent saves after the break but was eventually beaten a second time when Cawley found acres of space to loop a header into the far corner. Just when City looked done for, a goalmouth scramble ensued from a corner on the right that was eventually headed over the line by Monthe to snatch a last-gasp point.

Early on Concord keeper Jonathan Miles was left to thank his defence after he palmed a cross out to George Rigg, whose attempt to find the far corner was hacked off the line. A dreadful low clearance from the keeper after receiving a backpass almost let City in again as Ryan Broom collected the loose ball, bore down on goal and scythed an effort over the top. For all their pressure the hosts fell behind when Rangers dangerman Cawley produced a neat turn in the box to open up space for a cool finish across O'Leary. In the aftermath of the opener, the Romans were shaky for five minutes and watched a low, hard Cameron Norman drive fizz inches wide of a scrambling keeper and his post. Gradually City were able to put together reasonable periods of possession in the Concord half, but the same old problem that lack of incision was again proving their Achilles heel. So perhaps it was predictable that their equaliser came from a set-piece, won when a marauding Jack Batten was chopped down by Jordan Chiedozie to the right of the box. Frankie Artus' dead ball delivery narrowly evaded the head of Monthe and dropped for Watkins to trickle a shot into the far corner. Buoyed by the goal, City continued to come forward. They were the recipients of a slice of luck when lackadaisical Rangers defending gave Naby Diallo possession and the chance to cut back for Broom, but the Bristol Rovers loanee's effort was blocked at pointblank range.

The half-time whistle came at the right time for the visitors, who began the second period brightly on their return to the pitch. O'Leary made two stops from Cawley, tipping a header over the bar before throwing up a strong arm to keep the striker out after the ball had somehow been worked in behind the defence. A half-time reshuffle in defence saw Monthe pushed out to left-back as Dan Ball went off, Rigg dropped to right-back and Batten took up home in the centre. Monthe showed a turn of pace to beat three defenders and slash an effort narrowly wide from a tight angle. Nick McCootie, one of two half-time changes alongside Billy Murphy, almost dragged an own goal out of the Concord defence when he left his defender for dead and whacked a low ball across the face of goal, that bobbled off Rob Girdlestone's foot but ran out for a corner on the far side. An end-to-end spell saw Broom hit the advertising hoardings and Chiedozie draw another excellent stop from O'Leary, before Concord went back in front. The architect was Chiedozie, who whipped in a cross from the left flank that an unmarked Cawley nodded up and over O'Leary. More good work from McCootie at the byline left Broom in possession, but his shot on the turn was blocked in a scramble, while Sam Collins and Chiedozie exchanged passes for the former to shoot straight at the home stopper. Gary Owers threw on Shaquille Hunter and went three at the back in a bid to rescue a point, the wideman frustrated with a shot deflected wide as it curled towards the far post. The clock ticked down and into stoppage-time on City, but they nabbed a point when Monthe nodded in at a scramble, with Concord's Norman sent off in the aftermath.