National League South
Saturday 19 November 2016 - Twerton Park - kick off 3.00pm
half-time: 1-1 result: D2-2 attendance: 540

team: O'Leary, Rigg, Ball (c), Batten, Monthe, Murphy, Diallo (Hemmings 63), Marshall, Harvey, Morgan, Watkins. subs not used: Hunter, Hutchinson, Elcock, Phillips.
man of the match: Andy Watkins
scorers: Morgan (25), Watkins (80)
bookings: Ball (15), Monthe (61)
officials: M Buonassisi, D Lamport, B Williamson

league position: 10th form: LLDLWD next match: Wellington AFC (SPC) (H)

Report taken from

Bath City were gleeful recipients of a gift-wrapped goal that earned them a point against Chelmsford City. The away side netted early strikes in each half through Shaun Jeffers, with a Marvin Morgan header sending the teams in level at the interval. The Romans had to wait until ten minutes from time to get their second equaliser in comical circumstances, when Mark Haines' attempt to chest the ball back to his keeper went awry and Andy Watkins got on the scoresheet for the third time in four games.

The match kicked off five minutes late after the Chelmsford team coach ended up in Bristol and then got stuck in a road in Oldfield Park. And yet Twerton Park still witnessed the first National League South goal of the day as the Clarets that took the lead within three minutes. Shamir Mullings bundled his way past Manny Monthe and was then tugged back by the big defender in the act of shooting enough for referee Matty Buonassisi to point to the spot. Jeffers stepped up and beat Max O'Leary. City came back confidently in their bid to get level. Their first chance came when Morgan slipped in Watkins, who took too many touches before trying to shoot. The same duo linked up again to set up Watkins for a shot that was deflected behind for a corner that almost resulted in a leveller. Billy Murphy's delivery bounced in the six-yard box for a waiting Monthe to head goalwards. Visiting keeper Ross Fitzsimons made a stunning save to deny Monthe, although he should have done better with no defenders close. Before long City created more danger from a flag-kick, Jack Batten heading over the top after two nods-on from team-mates. Some tidy, intricate play from Chelmsford set up Mullings to sidefoot wide, but the chances continued to flow for the Romans. The leveller eventually arrived on 25 minutes though Morgan the first time any City striker had scored from an open play move since mid-September. The move began with Naby Diallo showing his strength to hold off a challenge and squeeze the ball to Murphy, who then sent a high pass down the line for Tyler Harvey. The loanee got past his defender and whipped in a perfect cross to the back post for Morgan to head into the top corner. There was a scare for City when a deep Robbie WIllmott free-kick floated through and found Chris Bush in clear space to send an awkward back header narrowly wide. The hosts had one last chance to take a lead into the interval when another Murphy corner, this time hit hard and flat, found Batten to flick over at the near post.

Chelmsford returned for the second period with more confidence and their early pressure resulted in a second goal. A Willmott corner from the left dropped in the six-yard box for what felt like an age before Jeffers finally shot home. More excellent link-up play between Morgan and Watkins saw the latter in behind down the left to scoop a cross to the back post that the diminutive Diallo was just beaten to. The Clarets held their own more in the second period and had chances to extend their lead when Willmott fired a free-kick into the Bristol End from a presentable position, and Haines had a shot blocked when another corner wasn't cleared. At the other end, Chelmsford keeper Ross Fitzsimons saved a certain goal when he tipped away a Monthe cross as Watkins lurked underneath for a tap-in. However, the City leveller would eventually arrive when Haines attempted to chest a loose ball back to his keeper, but failed to get a strong enough touch to let Watkins nip in and lift over Fitzsimons. Each side had one more opportunity each to win it. Chelmsford were up first as Willmott rounded Max O'Leary, but was forced wide and blazed over, while a Chas Hemmings header at a free-kick found Fitzsimons' gloves.