Somerset Premier Cup 2nd Round
Tuesday 6 December 2016 - Twerton Park - kick off 7.45pm
half-time: 1-0 result: W7-0 attendance: 117

team: Phillips, Rigg (Grosvenor 68), Murphy (Pruett 71), Hemmings, Batten, Marshall, Hunter, Artus (c) (Janneh 61), McCootie, Diallo, Hutchinson. subs not used: O'Leary.
man of the match: Nick McCootie
scorers: Hunter (45), McCootie (50, 81, 87), Hutchinson (60), Hemmings (64), Janneh (86)
bookings: none
officials: C Scriven, K Mann, D Gay

league position: n/a form: LWDWLW next match: Sutton Utd (FAT) (A)

Report taken from

Bath City's squad players showed their worth to boss Gary Owers as they romped past Wellington in the Somerset Premier Cup. They led by just a single goal at the interval, scored by Shaquille Hunter in stoppage-time, before turning on the jets after the break. Nick McCootie notched the next and completed a hat-trick before the game was up. Among the other goals were a delicious Josh Hutchinson backheel, a well-struck free-kick from Chas Hemmings and a debut goal for Bristol City academy trialist Saikou Janneh. Owers sent out a strong line-up, with three-quarters of a first-choice back four and Billy Murphy filling at left-back. Frankie Artus also got a starting slot in midfield alongside Lee Marshall, Nick McCootie partnering Naby Diallo up front, and Steve Phillips in goal for the first time since August.

City started the evening in confident mood, with Hutchinson a constant threat on the right wing. He immediately wormed his way to the byline and pulled back for Hunter, who was squeezed out as he lined up a shot. McCootie also found himself deep in the Wellington area, setting up Diallo for a scuffed effort. The frontman then swung and missed on an attempted volley with Diallo in his peripheral vision and sent in a dangerous cross that zipped through the box untouched. Wellington's first try came and went without worry as Murphy lost possession near halfway on the left, and Glen Wright attempted an audacious 45-yard shot that Phillips watched comfortably wide. McCootie finally got a clean connection but thumped a strike into the Bristol End, before Wellington got a couple of half-chances of their own. There was a moment of quality when Tim Legg scooped a pass over the City back four, but Ian Bellinger failed to connect with a difficult over-the-shoulder volley. Visiting skipper Tom Ellis also stooped to head a free-kick wide. Murphy almost scored a fluke goal as Tangerines keeper Connor Sidley-Adams had to backpedal and keep out his dead-ball that was curling towards the top corner. Phillips had a first bit of work to do as another rare forward foray from Wellington ended in Luke Redrup volleying tamely back to the veteran keeper. A twisting and turning Hunter narrowly cleared the bar, but soon got another chance that he took with aplomb. The former Bristol Rovers winger found himself in acres of space behind the Wellington defence from an arrowed through ball and calmly slotted in the opener.

The Romans put in another lively start to the second period but this time they took their chances. It was quite the opening to the half for McCootie, who slapped an effort against the face of the near post from a tight angle, before getting on the scoresheet himself, turning and finding the bottom corner from the D. He could have doubled that tally shortly after when Hunter beat two defenders and gave him what should have been a simple finish, which instead ended up on the terraces. There was nearly a second for Hunter too. He showed quick feet and deft touches to get the better of two more orange shirts, only to chip his final effort into the side netting. McCootie almost chased down a backpass and Marshall gave Sidley-Adams a simple save before two more goals arrived in quick succession. Again Hunter was the instigator, leaving a further trail of defenders in his wake and knocking across a pass that Hutchinson backheeled into the far corner. It was Hemmings' turn next as he bent a free-kick across the keeper and in at the right-hand post after Janneh had been felled. MATCH REPORT: Welling United 3 Bath City 1 - Romans sunk by lowly Londoners The young Gambian might have opened his first-team account for the Romans, had he not headed a George Rigg cross into the ground when well-placed and then drawn a neat save with a placed effort. However, Janneh visibly grew in confidence throughout his short spell on the pitch, starting a City move with a neat backheel and ending it by setting up McCootie to finish. Two more chances came and went as Hemmings headed a corner wide and Marshall made Sidley-Adams tip a dig around the post. At the death there was a reward for Janneh's performance as he snatched a goal of his own, turning in from close range after Hemmings spanked a volley across the face of goal. And the scoring was completed two minutes from time when McCootie turned his man and thwacked his third goal of the night into the corner.