Somerset Premier Cup Quarter Final
Tuesday 21 February 2017 - Woodspring Stadium - kick off 7.45pm
half-time: 0-2 result: L0-3 attendance: n/a

team: Reed, Elcock, Rigg (Hemmings HT), Grosvenor, Batten (Pruett HT), Marshall, Lennox (Ollis 76), Diallo (c), Peel, Hutchinson, Hunter. subs not used: Forster, Rollo.
man of the match: Ben Reed
scorers: none
bookings: none
officials: P Rees, A Hobbs, K Rodd

league position: n/a form: WWWDWL next match: Ebbsfleet United (H)

Report taken from

Bath City's Somerset Premier Cup run came to an end as Weston-super-Mare walked away with a comfortable quarter-final victory against a weakened Romans outfit. They were 2-0 down by the interval as former player Jake Reid and Jamie Chamberlain struck, the former adding a third in the second period. The margin of victory could have been wider as the well-drilled home side regularly cut apart the Romans' midfield and found joy on the flanks. With manager Gary Owers away watching Saturday's opposition Ebbsfleet at Hemel Hempstead, assistant Jim Rollo was left in charge of the team and named himself on the bench. An inexperienced line-up included Joe Lennox, a former Bristol City youngster who had two short spells with the Romans in the past, young keeper Ben Reed, once of Yate Town, and tall frontman Greg Peel, who has featured for Mangotsfield this term.

Weston sent out a stronger side including a host of ex-Romans and took control from the early stages, creating the opening chance when Thomas Anderson broke through the middle and found Jake Lee, who cut inside his man and drew a diving stop from Reed. A superb last-ditch Jack Batten tackle was also required to keep Reid from getting clear, before City created their only true chance of the first period. Shaquille Hunter found open space to the left of the box and tried to bend his effort around home keeper Liam Kingston, but could not wrap his foot around the ball and shot at the Seagulls custodian. Most of the action remained at the other end of the pitch. Jamie Chamberlain almost whipped a stunner into Reed's far corner, while Reid twice missed the target, albeit the second rather smashed at him by one-time City loanee Danny Greenslade. Both Peel and Lennox were unable to get clean strikes on rare forays forward for the Romans before Weston eventually went ahead when Reid smashed high and hard into the net. A threatening cross from tricky home playmaker Mohamed Chemlal just evaded Chamberlain at the far post as the hosts continued to come forward. Weston continued to create chances, with Reid the primary recipient. He hammered another effort against the crossbar and also drove wide. But the mounting pressure finally told as a right-wing corner was nodded down to Chamberlain, almost on the line, who turned and hammered in.

Either side of the interval Reed was called into further action to prevent Reid netting again, the second save made sharply with his legs. There was no keeping Reid down, however, and he slapped home the third on the back of an excellent charge down the right and cut back from full-back Jason Pope. It could have been a rout had Seagulls substitute Gethyn Hill not been the definition of profligacy. First up he controlled a high ball over the top wonderfully as the City defence were caught static, only to place his effort across goal and wide. Next up he lazily flicked an excellent low cross from Pope off target, with the goal gaping six yards away, and finally sent a third sitter off target. In the meantime, City created a few half-chances of their own. Peel sliced one high and wide off target, while sub Chas Hemmings drilled a free-kick into the back of the stand. Youth teamer James Ollis came closest of the lot when Hunter made it to the byline and dinked over a cross the youngster nodded just clear of the woodwork.