Vanarama National League South
Saturday 25 March 2017 - Twerton Park - kick off 3.00pm
half-time: 1-1 result: L1-2 attendance: 1006

team: O'Leary, Simpson, Welch-Hayes, Batten, Hemmings, Artus (c), Watkins, Murphy (Hunter 76), McCootie (Hutchinson 85), Diallo, McCoulsky (Morgan 76). subs not used: Marshall.
man of the match: Naby Diallo
scorers: Hemmings (45)
bookings: Artus (54)
officials: J Rathbone, A Berrow, J Ainscow

league position: 9th form: LWWWLL next match: Maidenhead United (H)

Report taken from

A debatable penalty decision left Bath City to mull over defeat in a drab encounter with Wealdstone. The action came in patches at Twerton Park as both sides struggled to put together any fluent football in front of an impressive 1,006-fan audience. The day's main talking point was the penalty that resulted in the visitors' winning goal. Making his first start since returning to the club, Sekani Simpson was adjudged to have nudged Stones hitman Joe White, who would step up to score himself, to the ground, though force appeared minimal. The sides had gone in at 1-1 after 45 minutes as Chas Hemmings' stoppage-time strike levelled up Daniel Green's fine opener.

City began the better side and had Wealdstone camped in their own half for the first 15 minutes. An early corner was nodded to Nick McCootie on the line, the frontman unable to convert with his back to goal as the visitors scrambled the ball behind for another flag-kick. Andy Watkins also had a volley blocked and Hemmings albeit offside regardless headed a free-kick over from a presentable position. With the Romans unable to breakthrough, the visitors gradually worked their way into a first half that offered little excitement for the family day crowd. The pace of winger Dan Fitchett posed City problems, playing on the defensive line and regularly running in behind Jack Batten. He also showed good control to take down a pass into the box, turn towards goal and force a sprawling Max O'Leary to divert behind. The only true piece of quality in the opening period resulted in a Wealdstone goal, though the Romans' defence still left much to be desired. A corner from the right was cleared back out to taker Green, who was allowed to waltz into the area with no City defender closing in and curl an inch-perfect shot into the far corner via the underside of the bar. The hosts mustered a response to get back into the contest, with Watkins flicking a Billy Murphy cross the wrong side of the near post. He would set up the next opportunity too. Watkins received a pass from McCootie and neatly found him with a backheel in return, but the striker would rifle well over the top from eight yards out. There were still hairy moments at the other end, Aryan Tajbakhsh whipping one shot around O'Leary's left-hand post. White also raced onto a long ball that landed over Batten and dragged his low, skidding shot across goal. The final action of the first half saw City get back on terms. Naby Diallo won a free-kick wide on the right that Murphy swung into the danger area. The ball fell into a clutch of bodies on the line and, at the second or third attempt, was scrambled over the line with Hemmings at the centre of the celebrations.

Chances at either end were minimal once the second period got under way, and it wasn't until past the hour that either keeper had to deal with a shot as O'Leary palmed away a firm Matt Whichelow drive from the edge of the box. Within minutes the Stones got their second as Ryan Sellers played White through into the box, where he was touched over by Simpson. The fouled party stepped up to the spot himself to send O'Leary the wrong way and restore Wealdstone's advantage. Gary Owers rolled the dice by throwing Marvin Morgan and Shaquille Hunter into the action, but the visitors had an opportunity for a third when Green whistled another shot past the far post. Though City pressed they could carve out little in the way of goalmouth action, the only strike Wealdstone keeper Jonathan North having to save a spectacular yet tame overhead kick from McCootie.