Vanarama National League South
Saturday 1 April 2017 - Twerton Park - kick off 3.00pm
half-time: 0-3 result: L1-5 attendance: 708

team: O'Leary, Rigg, Welch-Hayes, Batten, Hemmings, Artus (c) (Marshall 53), Watkins (Diallo HT), Murphy, McCootie, Morgan, McCoulsky (Simpson HT). subs not used: Hutchinson.
man of the match: Marvin Morgan
scorers: Diallo (67)
bookings: Batten (9)
officials: S Yianni, T Burley, M Halford

league position: 9th form: WWWLLL next match: Concord Rangers (A)

Report taken from

Bath City conceded five goals at home for the first time since 2001 as they were left soundly beaten by table-topping Maidenhead United. The Romans twice hit the crossbar from corners but were by and large kept at arm's length by a Maidenhead outfit that confidently stroked the ball around Twerton Park's turf. Deadly Dave Tarpey put the Magpies ahead with a tenth-minute penalty and would end the day with his fourth hat-trick of the campaign tapping in five minutes before the interval and tallying a second spot kick after the break for a 41st goal of the National League South season. The league leaders were three up by half-time as Sean Marks also hit the net. City's sole goal came when Naby Diallo bamboozled a pair of defenders and eased in his fourth of the campaign, yet there was still a fifth for the visitors when substitutes Sam Barratt and Jordan Cox combined for the latter to volley home.

The visitors were ahead early on when the ball ran loose in the box for Marks, who was tugged down by Jack Batten as he looked to turn and shoot. Tarpey stepped up to the spot and sent Max O'Leary the wrong way to convert. Opportunities in the box at the other end were rare. Full-back Miles Welch-Hayes looked a threat down the left flank and even had a shot of his own, cutting inside and firing into the legs of a defender. A combination of O'Leary's hands denied Tarpey another after Dean Inman nodded a cross back to the far post, and Jack Parkinson hooked the rebound over. Billy Murphy almost got lucky with a cross that beat everyone and skidded past the post as Magpies keeper Carl Pentney scrambled at the last, while Parkinson fired just wide of the City goal. One City burst saw Shawn McCoulsky running at the box with Welch-Hayes in support, but the frontman turned down a pass to his team-mate and found a defender with his eventual effort. Neat interplay from the away side created chances for Tarpey and Parkinson, the latter's a fierce effort, that both had O'Leary working. Eventually the creaking City defence, pegged back for long periods, cracked. Maidenhead's second came from a fabulous defence-splitting through ball that Sam Barratt squared for Tarpey to tap in. Two minutes later it was 3-0 when the ball popped into the box, Marks eased around Batten and stroked his shot between O'Leary's legs. City responded with a batch of set-pieces late in the first half and twice hit the woodwork. Marvin Morgan found the top of the crossbar with a looping header, with McCoulsky hitting the underside of the bar when Murphy floated a flag-kick to the back post.

Gary Owers made wholesale changes at the break as Sekani Simpson and Diallo came on for Andy Watkins and McCoulsky. That also forced a formation switch to 3-5-2, but it made little difference as Maidenhead opened up a four-goal advantage soon enough. Simpson was caught somewhat by surprise as Barratt sent a long throw over his head for Tarpey to run onto. He was toppled by Simpson, the second penalty the defender has given away in as many games, and squeezed his spot kick through O'Leary's outstretched hands. The hosts had penalty shouts of their own when George Rigg, pushed up into central midfield, claimed to have struck a defending arm with a shot. Maidenhead also had a half-hearted shout in the City box. Tarpey burst away from Chas Hemmings and crossed for Marks, whose header rebounded off Hemmings, referee Savvas Yianni showing no interest in tame handball protestations. Home fans at least had something to cheer by the end of the day when Diallo got the the byline on the left, cut inside two defenders and casually rolled the ball in at the near post. Unperturbed, Maidenhead went about netting again. Tarpey drew a save from O'Leary, right-back Remy Clerima sprinting in and thumping the rebound over, with Welch-Hayes blocking a close-range Barratt effort. The game slowed down after that burst of action, but the away side completed their fabulous afternoon when Cox volleyed in number five from a looping Barratt delivery. Cox could have had a stoppage-time second when Tarpey held off Hemmings and the ball fell at his feet on the edge of the six-yard box, only for the substitute's jab to skew into a defender.